5: In Which Her Brother Tries To Wake Him Up

Coby

This Jasper fellow has been in the castle a whole week now, casting a dark grey cloud into my life and stealing my sunshine. I have made no secret of my dislike towards him, and he has not concealed his contempt towards me. He is always following Ariana around like a needy child, eager to attend to her every need and making it impossible for me to spend time with her. Every day he is showering her with gifts, each more extravagant then the last, but if he really knew her then he would know that she already has more then she needs, and prefers the simple things in life, such as a beautiful flower from the meadow or a song dedicated to her. Maybe I am acting jealous, but that is because I am! Jasper is stealing my Ariana away and trying to replace my role in her life.

The worst part is that it is working.

She has hardly even looked at me this past week, which is like a harsh slap in the face. Ever since we were children we have spent every spare moment of our lives together, and now she is willingly cutting me out! I just do not know what went wrong. She is refusing to talk to me, and every time I try to speak with her, she turns away from me, or ignores me and focuses on Jasper. What could she possibly see in this man? I miss her smiles, now all I get is an indifferent glance or sad look. Everyday I can feel my heart break a little bit more, as I know that I am on the road to losing her.

I just do not understand why! Maybe that Jasper fellow has forbidden her to speak to me or done something equally as detestable, but deep down I know that Ariana would never let someone push her around. This is her choice, and that is what is breaking me.

The hurricane of my disturbing thoughts push me to punch the training bag harder and faster, which makes my tired muscles scream at me in protest but I keep going. I have obviously done something horrendous to grant a fate worse then death. I would rather feel physical pain then this pounding, choking throb in my heart. I just need to forget about her, which is near on impossible since it has always been all about her. What did I do to earn this pain?

"Jacob, stop." A commanding voice calls out from behind me, and I realise just how much energy I have used up trying to forget about Ariana when I can hardly see straight and near-on collapse into the stone wall.

"Leonardo... how can I... how can I h-help." I gasp as I strain myself to keep standing.

"Jacob." He tuts disapprovingly. "Are you trying to kill yourself? You are pushing your body way too hard." He reprimands as he grabs my upper arm and helps me stumble across to the rickety stool discarded in the corner.

"You know, I have been looking for you everywhere. I should have known you would be training again. Captain Yohana said that this is all you have been doing this week, and you have hardly slept. He is worried Jacob, and frankly so am I." The Prince informs me as he hands me a case of water.

"Thank you." I murmur gratefully. "Well, I am training to become the Captain... I need to be in the supreme of fitness." I shrug nonchalantly, trying to dull down my pounding heartbeat.

"There is a difference between working hard and working yourself to death." Leo announces wisely.

Ever since we were children, he has always been ahead of his years in wisdom. We are friends to a point, although Leo has always been a bit of a loner- he has never gotten on well with kids his age, preferring the company of adults to expand his intelligence.

"Why aren't you fighting for Ariana? You know you love her and she loves you too." He asks once I have regained my breath.

"What do you mean? I love Ariana like my sister, hell she basically is my sister at this point." I refute his words, although they feel weird coming out my mouth.

"No she is not your sister, and she never will be." He exclaims frustratedly, running his hands through his long thick hair. "Now, If you don't start manning up and admitting your feelings to yourself and to Ari, we are all going to lose her forever."

"I am sorry Leonardo, but you must be wrong! Ariana does not love me as anything more then a friend." I shake my head, not believing that she could actually want more for us.

"How can you be so blind? Everyone else has known it for years! Why do you think she has never dated and spends all her time with you? Why does she look at you as if you are her sun? She will never be happy with Jasper as she is so in love with you!"

"I... I..." I scramble for an excuse in my head, but I keep drawing blanks.

"Well, if you are not man enough to admit that you love her, really love her, maybe you do not deserve her." Leo shakes his head pitifully at me before heading out the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

He must be serious as this is the longest conversation I have ever had with him. Surely he is mistaken though, although I feel like a wall I have tried so hard to build up for the past few years is finally crumbling. Leonardo is not in the habit of being wrong.

Could I really love Ari as more then a friend?

Edited

The Princess and the Royal GuardOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara