7: In Which He Realises He Has Lost

Coby

I love Ariana. I really, truly love her, and not just as a friend. I have had time to contemplate over it, and now I know that Ariana means much more to me then I previously realised. How could I not be in love with her? She is the sweetest, kindest, most beautiful girl on this earth, and any man would be lucky to call her his wife. The lines between friendship and romance have blurred, and my heart aches for her in the way a man yearns for a woman. How could I ever want anyone else when I have become so used to Ariana's perfection?

The sad part is I may be too late. Yesterday she took that awful Prince Jasper to one of our secret places at the falls for a date or whatever. I cannot believe that she shared our special place with some stranger. They seemed to be having a wonderful time, which made jealousy rear its ugly head in me. What if she likes him? What if Leonardo was wrong and she never loved me, which means she now wants Jasper? One small victory was that when Jasper leant into kiss Ariana, which nearly made me run down the hill and drown him, she swiftly turned away, obviously not wanting his affection.

Maybe she just likes him as a friend?

Nevertheless, as soon as that happened they were back to being best friends and Ariana laughed so freely around him. They looked happy, which spooked me because that used to be us. I ran away trying to hold back tears. But today I know that I just have to talk to Ariana. I am not a coward. I have been best friends with her for years and years, and we know everything about each other from the worst or the worst to the best of the best, and still share love, so I am sure we can get through this.

I have to tell her how I feel, and soon, otherwise she could marry Jasper, which I cannot bare to witness. It is the only way to see if she loves me back and we can make it together. However, if it turns out that she really likes this Jasper person and is happy with him, then I will just have to accept it and support her. Her happiness is more important then mine.

I know from routine that right now Ariana will be getting ready for dinner with her family and Jasper. Usually I join them, but after seeing how much effort Ariana has gone to, to avoid me, I have omitted myself from attendance these past few days. Queen Giovanna has asked me about what has happened between Ariana and me, but I told her she would need to speak to her daughter. Even though Ariana will not like it, I know the only way to corner her will be to sneak into her bedroom, hence the reason I am using some vines to climb the sturdy old brick walls to her room. I have done this a couple of times over the years, but the fact that I am scared of heights still makes it a hard task to complete.

For Ariana I would do anything though.

Suddenly my foot slips on a crumbling brick and I claw at the windowsill in vain, panic fluttering into my system as I try to keep calm and desperately cling on, the vines groaning in protest. Once I manage to get a good grip, I start to haul myself up when Ariana's shocked face comes into view, like an angel.

"Jacob! What are you doing? Get in here!" She yells looking horrified whilst clinging onto my arm and helping me in.

"Sorry for worrying you Ariana... I needed to see you but you've been avoiding me." I explain once I have collapsed into her room.

"Well what do you want?" She asks in a closed-off manner, but I can tell she feels guilty.

"Well, first of all how are you?" I ask, hating the tension and awkwardness between us.

"I'm fine." She fires back, instantly shutting down any hope of a mature conversation.

"Ok, well, what have you been doing today?" I try again.

"Look Jacob, I don't have time for this. I am meant to be getting ready for dinner with Jasper right this second, so if you don't want anything other then to interrogate me, please leave." She announces coldly, breaking my heart.

What has happened to her? I have never seen her act like this before! She is so indifferent and cold, not like the usual ray of sunshine she is. I miss her smile and her laugh, which she always used to reserve for me, but now gifts to Jasper.

"Are you happy with him? Jasper?" I bite out as she turns her back to me to enter into her closet.

She freezes at my words and turns slowly, her eyes misty with tears and lower lip shaking in a way that makes me want to hold onto her and never let go. She opens her mouth as if she is about to say something, before she sucks in her emotions and puts on an apathetic façade.

"We are very happy actually, and you can expect an engagement announcement soon. I think I may even love him!" She declares with her arms crossed into her chest in a defiant tone, and that is when I know I have lost.

It is too late... I have been replaced.

"I see." I whisper, trying to swallow my heartbreak. "Well then, good luck to you both."

I look at her for one last time, admiring the way the sun hits her soft-bronzed skin making it glow, and her vivid green eyes the colour of new life and fresh spring leaves. Long thick lashes surround her eyes, fluttering in the most mesmerising way, and her straight silky milk -chocolate-coloured hair floats elegantly to her shoulders. She has a distinctive beauty spot to the left of her plump lips just made for kissing, which makes her beauty all the more unique. She is a goddess, a gift from the gods themselves.

However, I am too late to claim her.

Therefore, with a broken heart I simply nod and sullenly walk away, not looking back once for fear of her realising how much she has broken me with those simple words.

Edited