6: In Which She Goes On A Date

Princess Ariana

I have spent so much time with Jasper I am starting to get sick of him. I never feel this way with Coby. The conversation flows effortlessly between us, and nothing ever needs to be forced. I guess my longing for Coby serves as punishment of pushing him away and ignoring him for days. Even though I am trying to fill my senses with only Jasper, it is not working. Coby is the only one I really want to be with.

The whole situation is depressing, but I have to get used to it. This is how it is going to be for the rest of my life, and I am learning to live with the pain of losing Coby. Jasper is proving to be a good friend, and often makes me laugh, but there are no sparks of romance between us, no matter how hard he tries. Today he has taken me on a romantic lunch in the surrounding forest of the castle, to a waterfall Coby and I have come to every summer since we were little children. It feels weird to be here without him.

I still remember when we first found this haven of beauty, after getting lost when we ran away from my governess at eight and nine years old. The gushing whitewash water tumbling down the hillside in a series of mini-waterfalls into a gleaming lake of crystal waters entranced us both. The water tinkled in a laughing sort of way, which as children made us believe that this was the sort of places faeries might live. Even now after so many visits, I am still entranced by the perfectness of it all, as there is a power and brilliance in the tranquillity, and I could watch this streaming water even in my sleep, as a beautiful infinite dream. The trees are thick and lustrously green around the lake, reaching up and waving at the sky as if greeting long lost friends, and little bugs and creatures sing lazily around us, creating the music of the forest.

It is stunning out here, but I know that Coby will be upset if he finds out I have taken Jasper to one of our secret places, and I am already regretting it, as Jasper does not appreciate this haven as much as I do, constantly complaining about the bugs and lack of places to sit. It took us thirty minutes to reach the falls when it usually only takes me ten, because he kept getting scared by every little cricket and leaf gliding along his arms. I thought he was meant to be tough! At first, his terrified mannerisms made me laugh, but now I want to hit him and tell him to grow up! What a way to ruin what little mood there is! When we are finally settled on a blanket by the falls I am able to relax a little, and for a few precious moments we sit in peace, becoming one with nature and eating some of the delicious foods Jasper brought with him. If there is one thing about Jasper that could coerce me into marrying him, it is the way he knows his food, and even enjoys cooking. Annoyingly, he is much better at it then I am, although my taste buds are not complaining.

"Well that was some good grub! Thank you for suggesting this place Ariana, you were right as usual – it is stunning. Although not as stunning as you my dear." Jasper adds in with a cheeky wink.

"No problem Jasper. Thank you for the food, it is wonderful, and I have... enjoyed our time together." Even though I wish you were somebody else.

"Of course you have, well I have to admit, I am glad we have connected so well. I am sure you will make a splendid Queen, and I am excited for the future prospect to become your husband." Jasper explains as he starts shuffling closer to me, placing an unwanted hand over mine.

Panic flares up within me.

"All of my younger brothers are going to be so jealous when they see how stunning you are Ariana. You will be the rose of my kingdom." He sighs happily before swooping in to steal a kiss, which I luckily manage to dodge at the last second.

As his lips plant themselves on my cheek I feel awkward and embarrassed, but glad that I have not given him my first grown-up-kiss. Jasper slowly retracts from me, the calm atmosphere now ruined by my obvious rejection.

"Oh I see, you want to save yourself completely for our wedding night." Jasper presumes, and I nod to appease his feelings.

I nearly feint at the thought.

Whilst he chuckles to himself and starts to pack up the picnic, over the roar of the water, I hear a distinctive snapping sound causing me to turn my head up to the hill leading down to the lake. I do a double take when I notice somebody standing angrily with their back to us half behind a tree, obviously spying on us. The audacity! Then I notice the red cloak of the person, and I instantly know who it is. Coby. I slaved day and night to make that for him for the anniversary of his birth a few years ago. What is he doing spying on us? That is quite rude! However, my anger soon melts into worry as I wonder whether he had seen me reject the Prince. He must think I do not like him now! With these thoughts in mind, I flirtily toss my hair behind my shoulder and start becoming more touchy feely with Jasper, hoping he is now watching as we pack up the basket together, making sure to giggle at everything Jasper says and flutter my eyelashes. Jasper obviously likes this change in development and often skims his fingers over my hand or back, giving me goose bumps for all the wrong reasons.

Pretending that Jasper has said something terribly funny, I throw my head back and let out a bout of fake laughter, surreptitiously skimming the treeline for Jasper as I do. But as I sneakily look, I notice that he is already gone, leaving me disappointed and having to deal with a flirty Prince.

It's so crazy that we are half way through this book already xoxo

Edited