Part 11

"I said that's enough, John!" George asserts.

"I'm just having fun, lighten up!" John laughs.

John sure has an odd way of joking. George doesn't buy it, and frankly neither do I.

"Where's Ringo?" George finally asks.

"He followed close behind. Should be here any minute."

Just as John finished his sentence there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" I yell, eager to remove myself from John and George's tension. I unlatch the door and see Ringo's smiling face for the first time.

"Hello love!" He chimes. I instantly notice that he's much warmer than John.

"And who might you be?" He extends his arm out to shake my hand, and I do the same.

"Sadie Brooks, I'm George's assistant!" I say.

"Ringo Starr, Nice to meet you Sadie!"

I can already tell that Ringo is a sweetheart. I walk with him over to the sitting area of our suite where George and John have already taken a seat.

"Ringo!" George sings, hopping up to give him a bear hug. His excitement makes me smile. While they have their moment, I notice John gazing at me and chewing on the end of his glasses. It makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I ignore it.

"Please, sit!" George says, waving Ringo to one of the chairs.

"So I assume Sadie already introduced herself" he smiles.

"Yes! She's very lovely!" Ringo compliments.

It isn't long before the boys start to drink and get lost talking about their new and old projects. I'm completely fascinated by their banter, it's like they're a bunch of little kids at a sleepover. Their personalities very much remind me of how they all acted in A Hard Days Night. Very cheeky, full of life, and wildly entertaining. I chime in every once in a while when I see fit, but mostly the boys talk amongst themselves. I don't mind, I'm much more of an observer anyhow.

~~~~~~~~~

The day slowly bleeds into the night, and George, John, and Ringo are all a bit tipsy. John especially has gotten very loose, even more so than before. In the midst of it I've noticed his stares at me becoming more frequent. I flash a smile every once in a while to be polite, but it's starting to get old. I feel like he's trying to tell me something with his eyes, and it's very intimidating.

"Please excuse me, I've got to use the loo!" I say. George smiles at me and I walk over to the bathroom, but just as I'm about to go in a hand blocks my way.

"Hello Sadie."

It's John, I close my eyes and gulp hard, then turn around to face him.

"John, what are you doing here?" I say with obvious tremor in my voice.

"Just wanted to have a minute alone with ye is all!" He smiles, inching closer to my face. The acrid scent of vodka on his breath is overwhelming, and makes me feel nauseated.

"W-why?" My voice is shaky, but I try to cover it up and remain calm.

"Come on Sadie, I know ye been looking at me all night!"

"Only because you've been looking at me!" I bite back. This only makes him more persistent.

"I know ye want me, George told me yer a big fan." He smiles and leans forward even more than before. His lips are just a kiss away from mine, and I'm shaking.

"John, I think you're brilliant but I don't want you in that way!" I state, moving my head to the side.

"C'mon. Is it because yer shagging George?" He starts to kiss my neck, and I begin to feel powerless.

"No! Not that that's ANY of your business! Now please, will you let me use the loo!" I push him away, but he immediately comes back.

"Not until ye tell me why ye don't want me."

"She doesn't have to explain anything to you, now back the fuck off!" Ringo's voice chimes in and saves me. John looks back at him with fire in his eyes.

"You heard me. Go on, Sadie. I'll deal with him." Ringo assures.

I mouth a quick thank you hoping he can read my lips, then instantly lock myself in the bathroom and begin to weep. I'm trying to figure out what just happened, and why John would act so forward.

"He was just drunk, Sadie. He's acting mad. I'm sure he wouldn't normally act that way. I'm sure. Yeah. He's just drunk." I repeat to myself in the mirror, splashing cold water on my face. My makeup is a mess, but I don't care.

I finish washing up and reluctantly head back into the sitting room to find that it's only George and I. I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

"Sadie..." George begins, taking me in his arms for a tight hug. I melt into him, finally feeling safe.

"I'm so sorry about John" he says, slightly slurring his words. Unlike John, when George got tipsy he got more loving and protective. I actually appreciated it greatly.

"George, it's not your fault. Besides, he was very drunk." I play it off like it was nothing. I was already in a position to ruin his marriage, I didn't want to ruin his friendship either.

"He had no right to do what he did!" George said softly onto my shoulder, laying a delicate kiss where he spoke.

"I love you so much, Sadie. I don't ever want anyone to hurt you."

I sigh into his shoulders and walk with him to our bed, where we fall asleep comfortably until morning.