Part 37

"That's not real. That can't be real." My dad looked over to me, then back at George who was still holding up the sonogram.

"Sadie look me in the eyes and tell me that isn't real!"

I looked down to my belly and placed my hand upon it. As soon as I made contact with the area my little girl gave me a reassuring kick, giving me the confidence to answer him.

"She's real, dad." I murmured with tears rolling down my cheeks.

My dad shook his head, and he still seemed as if he was in disbelief. My mother was silent, staring at the ground as she bit her nails down to the flesh. She hadn't looked up once, and I knew she was reeling.

"Stupid girl...you fall in love with a married man and then you get yourself knocked up in the process?" Dad seethed, pacing around the room in fury. "I expected so much more out of you."

"I- I guess I deserve that." I bowed my head down and sighed.

"You deserve a hell of a lot more than that, Sadie! What the fuck were you thinking?"

"I don't know daddy!" My voice was cracking.

"I know that falling in love with George was wrong but there's nothing I can do about it now! I love him with all of my heart!" My breathing was getting heavy, and I felt like a panic attack was brewing.

"And the feeling is mutual, Mr. and Mrs. Brooks." George agreed.

"E-excuse me." My mother startled us all by speaking. "Could I please have some time alone with my daughter? Please?" She pleaded, speaking calm and rationally.

My father had no problem bolting out of the door, slamming it on his way out. George and I shot a glance at each other, and I whispered that I was fine. He pressed a gentle kiss on my forehead and gave my stomach one as well, and went on his way.

When the door shut it felt as if a bomb went off in my heart, triggering all of my nerves and emotions and bringing them to the forefront. Tears streamed down like rivers and for the first time since today, my mother's eyes met my own.

"How far along?" She asked, disappointment evident in her voice.

"Fifteen weeks."

"And you're sure the baby belongs to George?"

"Yes, mum."

She shook her head and tilted it down again, playing with the strap of her purse while she mulled over her thoughts.

"Why, Sadie? Why did you do this?"

Her question broke me, and I began sobbing hard. I didn't know what to tell her because I truly didn't know the answer.

"I don't know, mum." I wiped my tears away. "He was just so kind to me."

"But he's a married man, Sadie."

"I know that! That fact has been haunting me since our very first kiss!" I yelled a little louder than I meant to. "But you can't help who you fall in love with and I am madly in love with George."

"Sadie I just don't get it! You're so young, bright, and beautiful, You could have any man you want and you choose him?"

"I know, it seems ridiculous!

"It is ridiculous!"

"Hear me out, please!"

She leaned back and nodded, listening intently.