Part 28

I reached my arm out and accidentally hit John, who was still sound asleep next to me.

For a split second I'd forgotten what I'd done last night, but sure enough the memories of John having his way with me came flooding back as I stared at his peaceful resting face.

I rose up in bed and leaned against the headboard, feeling rather woozy. I chalked it up to my head still healing, but out of nowhere a burst of nausea rushed up to my throat.

It wasn't long before I was scurrying down the hall towards the toilet to relieve the sickness.

~~~~~~~~~~

I fell back into bed and immediately curled into a ball. It was the only way to calm my stomach pains.

I felt John's coarse palm run along my shoulder and arm in a reassuring way. Though it should have helped, his touch felt really rough against my cold and clammy skin and made me feel even worse.

"Good morning, Sadie. Are you alright?" He asked as he peppered feather-light kisses where his arms had grazed. I shuddered.

"Just a bit sick." I didn't want to talk much. Talking just made the nausea more intense.

"Is it your concussion? Did I hurt ye?" He seemed terrified that he'd done something wrong.

"No." I replied plainly, shutting my eyes tight to block the light.

I wasn't completely sure why I was so sick. I hadn't drank too much the night before, and my concussion wouldn't have made me this ill. Perhaps I had come down with the flu, or maybe it was something I ate.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked as he pulled the blankets over my now shivering body.

"No."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slept most of the day away while John tinkered around the house.

At the moment I could hear him picking at his guitar in the sitting room and singing, it was a lovely distraction from my worsening health. He had such a gorgeous, calming voice.

I did muster up the strength to call my parents this afternoon, because I knew once they found out I'd checked out of the hospital all hell would break loose. I didn't tell them where I was, but I did tell them everything was fine. They urged me to come home, but I didn't budge. I couldn't face the horrors of my life choices just yet.

I hadn't spoken to George at all, though he was all I could think about.

All that kept replaying in my head were those words he said at the hospital. That he and Olivia were done, and that he wanted to be with me.

It all sounded like sunshine and roses, but was it? I couldn't help but remember his bullshit proposal on our last trip to New York, and how he broke my heart when he changed his mind. Who's to say he wouldn't just do that again? What if Olivia ended up taking him back? Could I really risk another huge let down like that?

It was becoming too much to bear, and the vertigo was ripping through me the more my thoughts roamed. I doubled over and released my sick once more into the bucket beside me that John had provided.

"Sadie?" I heard him say quietly as he knocked on the door, pushing it all the way open.

"I'm worried about ye."

"Don't be... I'm..." before the words came out I was hurling again.

"Sadie, I think yer having side effects from yer fall. We should get ye to a doctor."

"I'm fine John!" I scream as another build up of bile comes forth.

"No. I don't buy it." He says as he rushes to my side. "You need to get to a hospital." He demands, wrapping my arm around his shoulder and holding me up to my feet.

My knees are so weak I can barely stand. I begin to fall before John picks me up bridal-style and walks me to the couch.

"I'm gonna call an ambulance." He states, and before I could protest he was in the kitchen dialing. I rolled my bloodshot eyes and shook, feeling both cold and hot at the same time. It was the most awful I'd ever felt in my life.

~~~~~~~~

I must have faded out because I barely remember how I ended up in this hospital bed. It was just like the night of the Christmas party. I must have fainted again.

I rolled my head over to look at the monitor beside me, and then looked to John- who was sitting next to the bed.

"Hey sleepy girl." He giggled, with an undertone of relief from knowing I was awake.

"Hey." I said back, cracking a half smile.

"Have they said what's wrong yet?" I asked, noticing the IV in my arm for the first time.

"Not yet. You're very dehydrated though, so that's why yer hooked up to those tubes."

"Oh." I uttered meekly. I did feel a bit better, probably from the fluids- but the dizziness still remained, and the extremely bright hospital lights didn't help.

"Can I get ye anything?" John asked as he kissed my knuckles.

"No thanks." I said to him, staring at his deep eyes. "Thank you for everything you've done for me. You really are a great friend."

John shifted his gaze downward, chuckling to himself.

"Friend, eh?" He said, his voice sheepish.

"John, you know I enjoy you a lot but I-" before I could finish the door opened, and the doctor came in.

"Hello Ms. Brooks!" He said, shaking my limp hand. "And... John Lennon?" He said with a smile.

"Oh, I'm a huge fan! Is Ms. Brooks your girl-"

"Cut the shit, would ye? What's wrong her?" John asked, peeved at the doctors lack professionalism.

"Right." He said nervously, shaking as he flipped through his papers.

"Well, Ms. Brooks. Your concussion seems to be healing just fine." He began. "But there is something else going on that's been causing your fainting and nausea."

He stopped for a split moment, staring at both John and I before he continued.

"Congratulations Ms. Brooks, you're going to be a mother!"

~~~~~~~~~~

GUYS I'm so sorry it's been so long! I know this chapter is kinda lame, but the next ones will make up for it I PROMISE. I kinda lost my inspiration for this book, but it's finally coming back and it's gonna get WILD! Thank you guys for sticking around.