Part 36

I woke up the next morning with a deep pain still lingering in my lower half. I held my head up to look around, scanning my room for any sign of George. He was gone, so I laid back down.

After a few minutes I heard some soft chattering outside of my door. One of the voices definitely belonged to George, and the others were vaguely familiar. They were all talking so quietly that I couldn't make out what they were saying, but it sounded like a hostile conversation. I jumped when I heard the door handle turn, and my eyes grew when I saw my parents following close behind George.

"Sadie honey! Thank God you're alright..." My mum huffed before bolting to my bed to squeeze me. I winced and shushed her softly as she buried her face into my shoulder, hugging me so tightly I thought my bones might break.

"I'm fine." I mumbled groggily, scooting upwards in bed.

"Dad?" I called for the man standing in the corner of my room. He looked pensive and angry.

"Sadie." He retorted curtly. A knot formed in my stomach, and thankfully George could sense my discomfort and came to my bedside to hold my hand.

"What are you guys doing here?" I inquired, staring at my mum who was now sitting in a chair on the other side of my bed.

"Belinda told us you came in..." she looked down shamefully. Belinda was a triage nurse, and a good friend of my mothers. She must've called my parents as soon as George brought me in.

"We're here because you're our daughter and we're worried about you... we've read the papers."

"Mum..."

"George?" My mum perked up and looked over at him. "Could you give us a moment with our daughter?" She was sweet, but it was that fake kind of sweet where her tone suggested that he didn't have a choice. I knew my mother well enough to know that though she appeared calm, she was seething on the inside.

George looked me in the eyes, and I nodded reluctantly. The last thing I wanted to do was be alone with my parents.

"Are you sure you're alright?" He whispered. "I don't think it's a good idea for you to be alone with them..."

"What gives you the right, George?" My dad barked suddenly, causing me to wince. "You come into my daughters life, use her body relentlessly, make her ill from all of the stress, and you have the audacity to say that we can't be in here with her? It's unbelievable! Where the hell do you get off?"

"Mr. Brooks..." he tried to defend himself.

"You don't get to 'Mr. Brooks' me, okay? In fact, I hope I never see your disgusting face again after this!"

"Listen to me!" George shouted back. "I know you two aren't my biggest fans and completely understand why! The way Sadie and I got together... it's wrong, alright? It's bloody wrong and I know that!" He looked around and read the room, making sure he had my mum and dad's full attention.

"But the love I have for her is real, and I have loved her for a very long time."

"How did this even start? Whatever this is?" My mother spat, demanding more information about George and I.

"Well..."

"George you don't have to explain anything." I assured him, but he insisted.

"No, they deserve to know." He said. "For me, it all started that day in me car." George turned to me and smiled, making me smile at the memory as well.

"I remember seeing her on the side of the road, tired and helpless from all the running." Both of us started giggling, and my parents only stared angrily.

"She insisted that she keep on running, but I knew she couldn't go on. I could see it in her eyes." George reached over to brush a hair out of my face. "Those lovely eyes." He whispered only to me.

"Um..." he cleared his throat. "And then I offered to give her a ride home... and it was completely innocent I swear to you!" He insisted.

"But we didn't go home. No... we talked for hours. We drove all around and shared stories from the lives we'd lived before, laughing and joking as if we'd known each other for ages." His eyes were still glued to me.

"Then when we finally pulled up into the driveway... I kissed her." He paused for a second.

"And for the first time in years, I finally felt like I was home..." he said. For a brief moment we both forgot about my parents, and we just stared at each other with love in our eyes.

"Bravo! What a story!" My mum said sarcastically, clapping as if she was entertained. "What about Olivia and Dhani? Aren't they your home, or are they just a couple of pawns who live in your home while you're out looking for little tarts to shag!"

"Mum!" I scoffed.

"She's right, Sadie. It's okay." George said. "Me wife and son didn't deserve this. I know that." He admitted.

"And yes, at one point in time Olivia was the girl I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with... until I got to know your daughter. Sadie is the only girl for me now, and she will be for the rest of my life. If that's what she chooses..."

I knew with that last part of his sentence he was hinting at the proposal I'd yet to give him an answer to. My mum rolled her eyes, I could tell she wasn't buying anything coming out of his mouth.

"And what about John, Sadie?" My mum turned to me and crossed her arms. I panicked and wondered how she could have possibly gotten that information, until I remembered the newspaper headline.

"Mum John and I shared a lovely friendship and..." I tried to explain before my father chimed in and cut me off.

"Do you know how hurt we were when we had to find out where our daughter was by reading the fucking newspaper? My God, just a few months ago you were a hard-working student with dreams and goals. Now look at you... now you're just a little slut who can't decide which one of the Beatles to give your body to!"

"Alright if all you're gonna do is make her feel bad than you can get the fuck out of her room. She doesn't need the extra stress." George spat at him, waving his finger in the air aggressively. I sank into my bed, feeling sickened by everything my dad was saying.

"I'm only telling her what she needs to hear, George." My father retorted angrily. "Perhaps one day you'll have a daughter and you'll understand why I've had to do this."

"I will never treat my daughter the way you two treat Sadie." George seethed.

"Then let's hope you never have one."

The room fell silent, and there was an tenseness to it. My parents could tell by our reaction to my father's words that George and I were both hiding something.

"Oh I'm afraid It's a little late for that, Mr. Brooks." He sneered as he took the sonogram off of the table and into his hand. I cringed hard and felt the urge to speak up, but the lump in my throat prevented me from doing so.

"Say hello to your granddaughter." He hissed with tear-filled eyes.