Part 44

Four hours had passed since we left the comfort of our home to go to the hospital. Not long after my water broke, I started to feel contractions. Though they weren't unbearable yet, I knew that they would only get more painful as the night progressed.

George kept a brave face for me, but I could tell that underneath his smile he was a ball of nerves. He was just as much a part of this as I was.

"I can't stand feeling so helpless." George finally cried out after several minutes of quiet pacing. "I hate that I can't do anything for you."

"You're here by my side...that's all I need." I breathed.

George smiled and pulled up a chair, then sat next to my bedside and took my hand. He gave it a kiss, then looked up at me.

"I just hate seeing you in this much pain." He muttered.

"I know, but-"

"Knock knock!" I hear Dr. Phillips's voice coming from behind the door, followed by the sound of it opening up.

"Good evening, Ms. Brooks." He smiled, slipping on latex gloves. "And to you, Mr. Harrison." He and George exchanged nods.

"So a little bird has informed me that you're in labor?"

"Yes." I moaned, squirming as a contraction hit.

"Very good." He said as he walked towards my bed. He placed his hand on my stomach and began to press around, nodding as he did so.

"Right, so the nurses informed me that you've had quite a bit of dilation since your water broke? That's wonderful news, it means you should be ready to push very soon."

He swiped his clipboard off of the door and began scribbling stuff down, all the while I continued to writhe in pain.

"Our nurses will continue to monitor you, alright? Until then, there's not much I or anyone can do for the pain. Just remember to breathe, and to focus on positive thoughts. I'll be around if you need me, okay Sadie?" Dr. Phillips smiled.

"Thank you doctor." I mumbled shakily, and as soon as he closed the door I became a weeping mess.

"George I'm so scared..." I admitted through gritted teeth, writhing as the pressure increased. "I don't know if I can do it...what if I can't do it?"

"Hey none of that, alright? You can and you will." He smiled, restraining his own tears as he tightened his grip on my hand. I wasn't sure if he was trying to comfort me or himself. Both, probably.

"What if I don't know when to push? What if something happens to her?"

"Sadie, you can't think that way. Remember what the doctor said, you must think positive thoughts..."

"And I'm sure when the time comes the doctors and nurses will tell you what to do. Everything will be fine, love."

"Geo-" my emotions were overflowing.

"In just a few hours time Daisy will be here" he cut me off. "She will be absolutely perfect. She'll have your eyes and probably my hair, and she'll be a beautiful representation of our love, okay?"

I nodded in agreement.

"Say okay."

"Okay!"

I felt another wave of pain, causing me to lose my breath. Each contraction was worse than the last, and my lower back felt as if it was on fire.

"That's my brave girl. Come on, work through it. Focus on me, listen to my voice."

"I love you."