Chapter 26 : Granted

Chapter Theme : You found me - The Fray

I promised that I would stay by Magno's side throughout the entire ordeal but I ended up breaking it on the day of Reika's funeral. All I did was stay inside my Dad's car, watching the service from afar.

Magno was able to convince his Grandfather to reveal where Reika is... and it turns out, she's in Filimon Heights all along, buried right beside her late Grandmother inside their family's palace-like Mausoleum. None of them had any idea that Reika was recently buried there, probably because everyone was busy trying to look for us and grieve on her death.

From inside the car, I saw how Magno stood right beside his crying Grandfather, keeping a far distance from Reika's parents who were in deep misery. Reika's Mother even collapsed halfway through the service. 

Even if Reika was already buried, the service still took hours with each of their friends taking turns for the Eulogy. I couldn't hear their parting words and stories about Reika but I could see them crying and supporting each other on perhaps one of the worst days of their lives. 

The sky seemed to be mourning with us. The rain never stopped pouring, despite that no one left. Everyone was present to bid their goodbyes, dressed in black while holding up their umbrellas of the same color. 

"Kirsten, are you sure you won't go out there?" Dad asked, keeping me company while Mom was with the crowd outside, giving support to the grieving De Juans.

I took a deep breath as I shook my head. I may have been stalling the pain but I know in my heart that I had to do it — I have to say goodbye to her.

I took a deep breath but I ended up sobbing as I exhaled. I couldn't help but think back to that night... when Papay stabbed me and kept me hidden under that hole in the ground. Would things be different if I decided to scream Reika's name? Would Reika still be alive if I Papay was able to abduct her that night? If only I was able to escape, surely, Reika would still be alive.

"If you can't do it, then just stay here. You can talk to Reika anytime. She's your angel now," Dad said, trying to console me.

I forced a smile as I nodded, letting my tears roll down my cheeks and jaw. "I can do it, Dad. This is the last thing I can do for her."

I got out of the car and to my surprise Silver was already walking towards me. She looked like she was in a lot of pain but still she was able to smile. Pretty ironic how she looks cold and emotionless most of the time but there she was trying to smile in the worst moment of our lives.

"Thought you were never coming out of that car?" she joked. Her voice was hoarse and even colder from all the crying. She held out her hand, trying to assist me like what she had been doing for the last few days. Sa totoo lang naninibago ako sa kanya, noon kasi pakiramdam ko hindi kami swak sa isa't-isa, may pagkakataon nga na inisip kong ayaw niya sa akin. Our common ground was only Reika, like we had no choice but to be friends because we have the same best friend.