15

My eyes snapped open at the sound of footsteps, dreading when those feet reach me, already trying to think of ways of what today’s torture is going be, “hmm, I’m surprised that monster hasn’t killed you yet. I guess today's your lucky day,” someone I definitely didn’t know said to me; shock, terror, hope was what I was feeling right now, “who...who are you?” I asked, wanting if this person is a friend or a foe, “I’m Ash, and I guess I’m your hero, so it looks your coming with me,” Ash said, kneeling in front of me, her eyes captivating me, “please help me,” I begged, holding back tears.

Ash quickly undid the chains around me, freeing me, something I longed for, but my legs were like tiny bridle noodle, and immediately fell face first, “don’t worry I’ll carry you if you want,” said Ash, looking at me with kindness, something that brought me to tears, “yes please,” I choke out, letting her carry bridal style, adjusting me in a comfortable position, leading us out of the dark dank building and into fresh winter night, the stars looking gorgeous; I inhaled the somewhat fresh air, closing my eyes to remember this feeling of raw relief.

We were a few steps away from the building before being tackled down, my already aching body landing hard on the dirt, the familiar growl making me whimper in fear; Ash quickly stood in front of me, fist clenched tight by her side, “what are you doing with my pet!” roared Collen, glaring daggers at my savior, “for one, a human is not a pet, and two, you’ve been breaking many rules for the queens liking, so I’m here to take care of you,” Ash responded darkly, as I watched in complete horror and disgust as Ash’s bones cracked out of place as her body began to transform, I turned away, throwing up the oatmeal Colleen feeds me once a month.

A loud growl shook me to the core, but I didn’t dare look back, I couldn’t for fear that my life will change drastically again, to be forced into something I didn’t want to be apart of, but I couldn’t block out the sounds of a monstrous battle, the sounds of growls of rage, pitiful yelps of pain, claws meeting flesh, it completely horrified me, forcing my to shut tight, whimpering at each sound of the battle.

The sounds ceased, but I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to see who won, but the sudden whine brought my eyes open, coming face to face with a lion 3x my height, its red fur matted with dirt and most likely blood, its golden brown eyes piercing through my soul, like its trying to figure me out, and I was completely surprised I haven’t ran away yet, even though I know it’ll catch me since I couldn’t even stand, so instead of screaming and fighting, I passed out, seeing how that was better than being awake.