5.

Dani
—————————

Caleb didn't keep his promise, but I didn't lash out at him like I did a few days ago. I went along with what he wanted to do and backed off when I felt like I wasn't welcome.

Claire was really sweet the next time I spoke to her, surprisingly; maybe the move to a new school had her nerves tore up or something. "Hey Dani, come sit with us." She motioned me over to a table where she sat with two other girls.

I walk over hesitantly. "Me?"

"Is there another Dani that goes to this school?" She smiles.

I shake my head and sit down beside a petite brunette—Morgan Woods—and look at Claire suspiciously. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"I need you to help me with your friend Caleb."

I almost choke on the water I was drinking. No.. No No No! I try to pull myself together in front of the three girls but the ache in my heart was growing stronger. She likes Caleb... she likes him and he likes her and I'm stuck in the middle.

"You okay?" Claire asks.

I nod slowly and wipe away the water that was dripping down my chin with the sleeve of my sweatshirt. "Fine and dandy."

"So, as I was saying." She takes a bite from her apple.

I take a deep breath and then exhale before speaking "You need help with Caleb.. what do mean by that?"

"He's cute but too clingy." She sighs dramatically. "Poor thing follows me around like I'm a movie star."

"Caleb has good intentions." I twist the cap back on my water bottle.

"You know him personally so that's why I need you to let him down gently." She puts her elbows on the table and folds her arms gracefully.

"If you just get to know him you'll see that he's not that bad." I say softly.

Dani! What are you doing?!

Maybe... maybe I want Caleb to be happy, even if it's not with me. And besides, she doesn't like him in that way.

"Are you going to help me or not?" Claire's smile fades and her face was all business.

"Would you even like to be friends with him?" I glance behind me to make sure Caleb hadn't entered the cafeteria yet.

"Like I said, he's clingy." She picks at her salad with her fork.

"But he's a nice guy..."

"Then why don't you date him?" She raises an eyebrow as she looks at me.

"It's complicated I guess." I mutter as I push my seat back away from the table so I can stand up.

"So you're helping me?" She asks.

"I'll have to get back to you on that.." I pick up my tray and get away from the table as fast as I can.

===================================