4.

Dani
—————————

I had almost forgotten about Caleb since Julie and I spent our time getting our coffees and then heading to the arcade to play games.
That was until Caleb decided to show up at my house right before I was going to bed that night.

*knock knock*

"What's the password?" I call out. I was laying on my bed in my Jack Skellington onesie while eating my favorite snack, Nutella on toast.

"I don't know your password." My mom opens my bedroom door slightly and peeks her head inside.

"What's up?" I put my plate on my nightstand and sit up in bed.

"Caleb's downstairs and he wants to talk to you." She smiles.

"Tell him I'm not in the mood." I flop back onto a pillow that's shaped like a pumpkin.

"You're always in the mood for Caleb." Confusion was evident on her face.

"Not tonight." I fake a yawn and stretch my arms above my head.

"Dani..."

"Mom just drop it." I get a little snappy with her. "I'll see him tomorrow."

"Alright.. I'll leave you alone then." She replies and quietly shuts the door back.

I huff and bring my fuzzy blanket over my head.

I just wish things would go back to the way they were before the new girl came to our school. Caleb wouldn't have asked me to be more than friends but at least I would still have my best friend around at all times.

I want him to be happy but I don't want to be cut off in the process. He'll never find anyone who will love him more than I do but I can't do this, I can't be called up when it's convenient for him.

I jumped out of bed when I heard tree branches banging against my bedroom window. The wind wasn't bad tonight and it wasn't raining.
I reach underneath my bed and grab my dads old baseball bat and I grip it tightly in my hands.
The banging sound was getting louder and I was starting to hear grunts and mumbles from what sounded like a man.

"Hey!" The voice was muffled as two hands came to rest upon my window, and then a face came into view.

"Caleb!" I stomp my foot and walk over to open my window. He had climbed all the way up the big pine tree to get to my bedroom window on the second floor. "You're such an idiot."

"Please.. help me.." His hands were slipping and he was leaning way too far out of the tree.

I put the baseball bat down and grab his upper body to haul him in. We both struggled for about a minute before I finally got him inside.

He collapsed to the floor out of breath with pine needles scattered around him and in his hair. "Thanks."

"Why are you here?" I stomp back over to my bed and climb back underneath my blankets.

"You didn't answer my texts." He lifted himself up off the floor.

"I had my reasons." I roll over so my back was towards him.