16.

Dani
—————————

When I finally get home from my coffee date with Brixton I feel like the happiest girl in the world. Who knew something so sudden could turn out so well. Thinking about Julie's idea of using him to make Caleb jealous started to hurt me, because what if Brixton's my person and Caleb isn't.

We didn't have much in common but he tried to make happy. Having a partner is about making each other happy, right? If it is then Brixton is sealing the deal with that. So far he's starting to fall into my perfect guy category and I'm loving it.

When I get home I'm still on cloud-9 and I don't even realize Julie's outside raking leaves. "Um excuse me, best friend here who's waiting for you to tell her about your date."

I spin around on the sidewalk and clasp my hands together, my smile said it all.

"Wow... so I'm guessing it went well." She laughs and props the rake up against one of our gigantic oak trees.

"Well? It was amazing." I tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. I couldn't stop smiling.

"Where is Caleb fitting in at this point?" She asks, a little disappointed. And that's when it dawned on me that Caleb's still her big brother and she might know something about Love Chaser.

"You know, don't you?" My smile fades as I bend down to take off my ankle booties. In all my life I've never worn something so uncomfortable.

"That you're hiding something? Yes I know. I'm starting to think now is the time to tell me." She places her hands on her hips. Now she was getting grumpy.

"I'll tell you on the way to Waffle King, okay? I promise I'll explain everything." I hold up my pinky finger.

She steps closer and links her pinky with mine. "Your explanation better be good."

===================================

"When Claire came to Davidson High Caleb started clinging to her and she didn't appreciate it that much. She um... told me to break the news to him." I tap my fingers against the steering wheel nervously.

"Since he's still head over heels 'in love' with Claire I'm guessing you didn't break the news to him yet." She was watching me. I knew she was.

"You know I want to see Caleb happy." Telling her is more difficult than I thought it would be. Maybe if I can drag it out a little longer it'll be better on me.

"Don't beat around the bush, Danielle Wilson. I want to know the truth, the whole truth at that." She touches my arm. "You're my best friend which means you can tell me anything. Who would I tell?"

"You tell anyone and I find out about it," I take a deep breath and grip the steering wheel. "You'll end up a dead girl."

"Got it. I still have a long life ahead of me and I don't want it to end so soon." I could tell she was starting to smile. "Now, on with the story."

"I couldn't exactly tell him without him thinking I'm the one who doesn't want him around Claire. I did something wrong but I can't make myself stop when I keep getting messages from him." I whisper. Guilt washes over me.

"You're Love Chaser! OMG... I had a feeling it was you but now that you've actually admitted to it-" She starts one of her rambling things again.

"Stop Stop Stop." I sigh and shake my head. "It's bad, it's really bad. I need to stop before it gets any worse. It he wants Claire then so be it."

"You honestly believe Brixton could be the one for you?" She lowers her voice and a hint of sadness creeps in.

"Yeah, yeah he might be." I glance over at her. "I love you Julie and I love Caleb but... I can't keep doing this to him, playing with his feelings."

"You can't stop with the Love Chaser email, you just can't. Your emails are something he looks forward to everyday."

"That's probably because he thinks it's Claire, not me. And besides, if I plan to keep dating Brixton I need to be all in with him." I sigh softly.

"You want my advice?" She asks as she turns up the heat in the car.

"Even if I say no you'll give it to me anyway." I laugh a little. "Julie Anderson doesn't take no for an answer."

"My advice is to continue with your email exchanges with Caleb. Make him see that it's not Claire but someone even better." She says it like it's easy.

"Someone even better? You do know we're talking about me here. Dani Wilson." Now I was full on smiling.

"You don't see yourself like I see you. I feel like it would be a huge mistake if you stopped emailing Caleb." A smirk forms on her lips.

"Why do I feel like you have something up your sleeve?" As I pull into the parking lot of Waffle King I see Caleb's truck parked close to the door.

"Please tell me you didn't invite him here." I groan as I pull up beside his truck.

And with that she stays quiet as she unbuckles and gets out.

I put my car in park and follow out behind her. Lord, please help Julie today.

 Lord, please help Julie today