7.

Caleb
—————————

Tonight is the night that I finally start working in the 'creepy' corn maze as a zombie. The reason behind it? I want to get to know Claire more, her parents are the ones that own the farm. But at the same time there's this girl who emailed me earlier and she seems genuinely interested in me.

My fingers hover over the keyboard as I sit at my desk in front of my computer. I promised this mystery girl that I would play a game of 21 questions with her tonight.

"You're going to be late." My mom walks in with the laundry basket.

"Just give me minute." I bite my lip and focus on the task at hand: Writing out a question for this love chaser.

"Being late for your first job isn't very responsible." She bends over and pulls a few socks out from underneath my bed.

"I'm going.." I mumble and stand up from my squeaky computer chair.

"Be careful." She smiles and kisses my makeup covered cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too." I can't help but smile. My mom has given up so much for Julie and I so that's also part of the reason why I got the job, besides Claire of course.

"No speeding, no texting while driving, no-" I cut her off before she can make a ten mile long list of what I can and cannot do while driving.

"I know." I chuckle as I grab my keys and wallet off my dresser. "You go over the list every single time I want to go somewhere."

"You'll understand when you have your own children someday." She puts the laundry basket on my bed then proceeds to walk me down to my truck.

"I won't have children if I can't get a girl to go out with me." I say jokingly as I open up the drivers side door of my truck.

"I really wish your life wouldn't revolve around girls." Great. Here comes the serious mom talk again. "If you would get your focus off of them and more on school work-"

"Have a nice night, mom." I bend down and kiss her cheek. "I should be home around 10 or 10:30."

"I might have to go back to work in about an hour so I won't be getting off until 11. Call the Wilson's if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay.. don't work too hard. I see those under eye bags of yours." I tease her with a small smile.

"This is why I stopped at two kids." She ruffles up my hair.

"You couldn't handle any more awesomeness." I run my fingers through my hair to fix it back to the way I had it.

"Hey! You should get Dani a job at the pumpkin patch too. Wouldn't that be fun?" She smiles up at me. "I'm sure she would love that. She's always looking for ways to save up for college."

"Yeah... no. Dani and Claire didn't hit it off." I put the keys in the ignition and start up the truck. "Plus, it's not good for us if we're always around each other."

The look on my moms face says it all but she doesn't make a comment.

Dani and I seem to be growing apart here lately so I'm starting to think our friendship will fizzle out by the time we head off to college. Do I want it to end? No. Am I able to make things right? I don't know.
Dani doesn't care for Claire and Claire doesn't care for Dani. At the end of the day I have to put Dani's feelings aside and put mine first, and right now I'm wanting to pursue a relationship with Claire.

===================================

Hey everyone!
What did you think about this chapter?
I hope you enjoyed Caleb's perspective on things :)

Made sure to vote, give feedback, & share with your friends!

~ Xoxo Madison Grace