Chapter 2

He pecks my lips

He pecks my lips. "I knew you were the one the second I laid eyes on you. The one to bring me back to life."

'How did you know?'

He's talking. I need to extract as much from him as possible. He looks me straight in the eyes. They are bursting with meaning. "Because my heart starting beating again." He whispers.

"Chloe."

I groaned and looked up from the book I was currently reading. I had picked up a steamy romanced book before leaving the library the other day. I was already halfway done with it. I probably would have already been done if it weren't for all the interruptions I kept having.

I stood up and walked over to the door. My black boots tapped on the hard wooden floor. I opened the door and my dad stood there. His eyes were red from a sleepless night. I would know because he kept me up all night with all the commotion. It wasn't until six in the morning that everything quieted down.

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to head out, do you need anything?" He asked, and then added, "You should get some sleep. You look tired."

"I would have gotten some sleep if you hadn't kept me up all night."

"It was a rough night." He said, sounding detached.

I assumed that much, but I felt like it was more than that. I could hear the banging of pans in the kitchen and several voices screaming. It was ongoing all night and I just about had it. The only reason I didn't match down the stairs was because it sounded like something I didn't need to be part of. I swore I heard someone crying so it must have been bad.

My dad was always a busy man and was important in town. He worked with the law. It was one of the reasons he said I needed bodyguards. He said he didn't want any of his enemies taking their anger out on me. I figured what happened last night had something to do with his job.

"I noticed." I said. "Can I go into town with you? I want to return some of the books I've finished. It's also Saturday and I've been locked in here the entire day."

"You know how I feel about you going out." He shook his head. "Besides, it's late."

"I need to get some...girl stuff. I don't care who you assign to babysit me. I just want some fresh air."

"I can't take you with me. I'm leading a new case and I'll be busy with work, but I can have Don take you tomorrow."

"Yeah. Okay." I said, giving in.

With that he walked out of my room. My book was now forgotten on my desk. I sighed and turned off the small lamp on my desk. The only light coming through the window was of the moon. It was big and bright in the sky.

I pushed my covers up and climbed into bed. The only thing I had running through my mind was the image of my mom. The feeling I had of loss stuck with me every night, but it was the only comfort I had that I was still human inside. I hadn't shut out my feeling like my dad had. I still had a part of me inside and no one could take that away from me.