Chapter 14

"If this is some sort of joke it's a sick one

"If this is some sort of joke it's a sick one." I said, shoving past Vincent.

"Chloe, wait."

Vincent caught my arm and pulled me back. I fought against him but Vincent had a tight hold on my arm. I didn't want to hear anything else he had to say. Not when it came to my mom. He was just trying to screw with my head.

"I don't want to hear anything else you have to say, Vincent. You do realize what you are saying, right?"

"Think about it, Chloe. Don't you think it's a bit odd? Ask your dad if you don't believe me. If he tries to pass it off then you know something isn't right. I know what I'm talking about even if you don't want to see it."

"Vincent-"

"When you ask him you'll see that I'm the only person you can trust. When he fails to tell you I will be here waiting for you."

I didn't want to believe Vincent. Not on this, but I couldn't help thinking that something wasn't right about my mom's death. Whatever happened to Kyle was something that I clearly wasn't supposed to know about. Now that I knew everyone was acting like it was nothing.

"I don't trust you." I said, honestly. "I don't trust anyone- not even my own dad."

"Just give me time."

"For what, Vincent?"

"You'll see that you can trust me. Ask your dad and if he doesn't want to tell you then I will. You can count on me if you just let me in."

"Why can't you just tell me now?" I said with frustration.

"I want you to know that I'm the only one that will help you. I care about you and I'm willing to break a few rules, but I can't do that right now. There is a way around all of this but it'll take time. I'm risking more than you know."

"I-I don't know." I said.

I hated that the only person I felt I could count on was Vincent. There wasn't a single person in the world I felt I could rely on. I didn't want that person to start with Vincent. Even though I knew I couldn't trust him, he was the only one who had been there. I needed someone and Vincent was there.

"Please, Chloe." He said with pleading eyes.

"Fine. I'll give you time. I'm putting my trust in you." I said. "If you mess up then that's it. You don't get second chances."

"Deal." Vincent didn't even pause.

Vincent surprised me by wrapping his arms around me and bringing me close. I stood frozen and stiff as a board. I didn't return the hug. Vincent was helping me but that was it. I didn't want him getting the wrong message. His small confession was stored at the back of my mind for me to deal with later.

Vincent stepped away from me and took hold of my hand. He brought it to his lips and kissed the back of my hand. I felt my cheeks warm up and I jerked my hand away from him. Vincent laughed but didn't say anything.