Chapter 20

It was much worse than I could have imagined

It was much worse than I could have imagined. I was watching myself in the video. Maya was on top of me and my dad was running up to us. I could hear him shouting. I hadn't paid attention to him then, but he didn't lie when he said he tried calling for attention.

I watched the video as if it were in slow motion. The gun was in my dad's hand and he pulled the trigger. I couldn't keep myself from screaming. I was reliving my worst nightmare over again. What made it even worse was that someone was there and did nothing to stop it.

"Chloe?!" My dad stormed in looking around the room. "I heard screaming."

I jumped out of bed and ran to him. My arms went around him and I buried my face in his shirt. I was crying uncontrollably and he was trying to pull me away from him but I was holding on for dear life.

"Chloe, please tell me what's wrong. Is this about your friend?"

"Why?!" I screamed. "Why me?!"

It finally settled in that someone wanted to torture me. Since the very first day I arrived at Ashburn someone was taunting me. They wanted to make me miserable and it was working.

I couldn't believe that someone could hate me so much they would hurt me this way. Who could have so much anger inside of them to do something like this? It was sadistic.

"Chloe, I need you to calm down and tell me what's wrong."

I pulled away from him and tried to control myself. He had to know now. This had gone too far.

"When I first got here someone called the house and said they would kill me like they did mom. I didn't say anything because I thought it was some sick joke and I didn't want to let it bother me. Now someone sent me videos of Maya. Someone has been following me and-"

Maya could have still been alive, I thought to myself.

"You should have told me sooner. This has gotten out of control."

"They were there when Maya was attacking me. She didn't have to die."

"Give me your phone," He held out his hand to me, "I'll take care of this."

I walked over to my bed and handed him the phone. He didn't say anything else when he walked out of my room. I didn't want to be left alone. It made me feel hopeless.

I grabbed a pillow, my blanket, and I headed downstairs. Just as I had reached the bottom step, Kyle walked through the front door. He was rubbing his eyes sleepily and drowned whatever drink it was he had in his hand. He looked up and finally realized I was there.

"Your dad told me what happened. He wanted me to look after you."

"He should be doing that, not you."