Chapter Ten

Monday morning rolled around. Noelle sat quietly with her family at the breakfast table. Margo sat down next to her and immediately took notice of the quarter-sized bruise on Noelle's neck and almost choked on her cheerios. Margo started to couch frantically.

Lydia looked up from her breakfast of oatmeal and fruit, "Margo, are you okay?" She asked with concern. Margo nodded and took a sip of orange juice. Jason looked from his breakfast of toast and cereal and noticed that same purple-ish bruise against her neck. 

"Noe, what happened to your neck?" Jason gestured to his own neck for reference. Noelle's eyes widened and slapped her hand on her neck and blushed. She picked up her nearly empty cereal bowl and placed it in the sink quickly. 

"I gotta head out." Noelle said as she hugged Lydia and kissed her dad on the cheek and ruffled the boys' hair (which they didn't necessarily enjoy) and hugged Margo.  She walked outside of her front door and locked it. Walking down her driveway she started to walk on the side walk. However, she failed to notice the gargantuan truck with an even larger boy sitting inside waiting for her. She sped walked as the truck slowly crept beside her. He rolled down the window slowly.

Carson woke up early that morning before the sun and the first thought in his head was a petite girl with unruly coils and glasses. This feeling was unfamiliar and he didn't know what to do about it.  One thing for sure was that he had to talk to her about it--whatever it takes. While getting ready in his lavish bathroom, he practiced his speech in the mirror. 

"...Noelle, I don't regret what happened..." He said as he looked into his stone reflection with a toothbrush and damp hair. He finished getting dressed and hopped into his truck. He knew he had to talk about this kiss and explain to her that...he kinda really liked it a lot more than he should. He had to tell her that she made him nervous but, in a good way. There was just too much to explain to her. He pulled into her driveway and waited for her to emerge from her front door. Not too long after he got there, she emerged from her front door and walked right past his humming truck. He rolled his window down.

"Noelle!" He said as he made she to keep his eyes on the road. Nothing, she kept walking like she didn't even hear him. He didn't want to do this but, he knew he had to...

He laid his hand on the horn and pressed down firmly. A frightening honk resounded in her small quiet neighborhood and scared Noelle half to death. She faced his truck angrily and said, "Jesus H. Christ, Carson, what!" 

"Can I give you a ride, Babe?" Carson flex his tans arms and sent her a smolder. Noelle shook her head.

"No, thanks. I'm fine walking." She continued to walk.

"Come on, Noe, get in. It's gonna rain." Noelle frown and looked up and saw full, dark clouds hanging above her head. "Shoot." She said quietly to herself. 

"Just this once, Carson." She said as she hopped into his truck and set her backpack between her legs. There was a tangible silence between them as Carson drove to the end of her neighborhood. His large palms were becoming clammy and this silent ride was making him feel anxious. He looked her over while her eyes were glued to the window beside her. He noticed the quarter-sized bruised on the side of her neck and couldn't help but smirk. 

Coming up on their high school, Carson drove straight past it. Noelle's eyes widened as their school was getting smaller and smaller in his rear-view mirror. "Carson! Turn back!"

"Actually...I thought we could play hooky today." He shrugged and smiled.

"That is not up for you to decide. If you turn back now, we won't be late!" She wrung her hands nervously.