Chapter Seventeen

The sun had begun to set behind the bleachers. Noelle was really enjoying herself with her family--she chose to ignore the fact that her ex-boyfriend (if she could really call him that) was practically the star of the game. He looked good though--she could still appreciate him physically, right? She sighed a bit, maybe it was best to forget about him and their whole relationship/fling thing. Noelle actually planned to hand in her resignation for the library on Monday. She wanted to focus on her school-work and never think about Carson Holt again. 

"Hey, you good?" Margo asked. 

"Yeah, just spacing out." Noelle replied.

The players were slowly leaving the field for the half-time show. Noelle planned to get another soda and use the bathroom during this time. However, two band kids decked-out in their colorful uniforms bumbled up to her. 

"A-Are you Noelle? Uh Cartwright?" One with fiery orange hair peeking out of her hat said nervously. 

"Uh yeah, I am." Noelle was beyond confused.

"Can you come with us please?" The other band kid said with his dark eyes and golden saxophone still in his hands. Noelle looked at her family to see if they were seeing the same thing she was seeing. Her dad nodded his head as if telling her it was okay to go. And Lydia put her thumbs up and smiled at Noelle.

"Um, okay." Noelle got up from her seat and swiftly followed them. They walked super fast and they were headed straight to the middle of the football field. Noelle was trying her best to keep up on the slippery field and before the band kids could abandon her on the empty field. Noelle asked:

"What's going on?" 

The girl with the fiery hair smiled and blushed, "Oh sweetie, you'll love it. You're honestly the luckiest girl ever."

The boy with the dark eyes rolled his eyes and directed the girl by her shoulders to move off the field, "Christina, come on." He said as he practically dragged her off the field. 

Noelle was confused and blinded by the stadium lights shining in her face. She could feel everyone's eyes on her and the crowd was just as confused as she was.

Meanwhile, Carson had practically ran to the Box to grab his mic and adjust his audio slightly. The president of the AV club helped him out and gave him the run down.

"Alright, everything is all good. You better hurry, she looks terrified."

"Thanks, I owe you!" Carson yelled as he sprinted to the bleachers. 

Music started to play over the stadium speakers. Noelle looked around and her eyes landed on a silhouette. But she knew that silhouette without a doubt. "Oh Jesus..." She muttered to herself.

"...It's just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off of you..." He started to sing. Noelle couldn't help but crack a smile. He wasn't much of a singer--he was actually pretty bad. Her face began to heat up and she covered her face with her hands. He was singing to her, she couldn't believe it.

"...You'd be like Heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much..." He began to approach the edge of the field. He was still in his cleats and muddy uniform but his helmet was off and his shaggy hair was wild and messy. "...At long last love has arrived and I thank God I'm alive..." He had that stupid smile on his face that made butterflies swarm Noelle's stomach whenever he flashed it her way. So much for trying to get over him.

"...You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off of you..." He was walking closer to her when he stopped. And suddenly the marching band stood up in the bleachers and music swarmed her ears. Trumpets and flutes all in-tune with this song that Carson was belting out just for her.