Chapter Nineteen

Noelle's mom came, just like she said she would. And she was still beautiful but she didn't glow anymore-- if that makes sense. Her honeyed-brown eyes were dull and sunken in. Noelle didn't collect any of the stuff her mother asked her to. Maybe she could persuade her mother to get help or better yet, stay with her family. Noelle knew it was a fucking dumb idea. But, this was her mom she was trying to help, Not some random person she didn't know. And deep down, Noelle knew she would regret this but, she hoped she wouldn't.

Noelle closed the front door behind her mom, Noelle's mother kissed her cheek quickly. Noelle noticed how cold her hands were and blemishes on her once clear, smooth skin. She was also thinner than she remembered, she was practically swimming in her clothes. 

"Oh Firefly, you've grown so much." Noelle's mother said as she stroked her cheek, "Do you have everything?" She asked expectantly. Noelle shook her head 'no.'

"...Momma, what's going on?" Noelle asked softly.

"Noelle, I don't have time for this." Noelle's mother snapped back, she began to speed-walk around the house quickly looking for the things she asked for--starting with the silverware. Noelle followed her mother to the kitchen, she was frantically rummaging in the drawer for the shiniest silver. A couple of forks and spoons clattered to the floor. Noelle hesitantly touched her mother's shoulder.

"Stop, mom..." She whispered but her mother continued, "Mom, stop!" Noelle raised her voice and tried to hold her hands. Noelle's mother tried to push Noelle's hands off from hers. Noelle was practically wrestling to get most of the silverware out of her hands. Noelle's mother's hand broke free from Noelle's grasp and swiftly backhanded her. The slap left a warm and stinging sensation and there was a small slice just below her eye. Her mom happened to be wearing a ring on her left hand--it was the engagement ring her father gave her. Noelle hissed and touched her warm bruised cheek. Her mother never hit her, ever. But, the woman she was watching frantically move about the house wasn't her mother anymore.

Noelle always imagined her reunion with her mom to be a little different. For one, her mother wouldn't be stealing from her or her family and her mother would ask about how her life has been. Maybe they would converse over coffee or a family dinner like they used to. Noelle would ask her for advice about boys and school. Maybe her mom wouldn't be strung out and frantic like now.

"Why are you doing this? Do you need money? Are you in trouble?" Noelle whispered.

"I'm just taking what's mine, Noe." Her mother said as she pocketed sterling silver rings and golden necklaces and porcelain. 

"None of this belongs to you!" Noelle 

Her mother froze in her place and turned to look at Noelle, "You think that Chinese bitch your father married runs shit here? I'm your fucking mother Noelle, don't forget that. You're my child! This is my house!" Noelle's mother yelled, "You do as I say, my name is on your birth certificate, not hers. Don't have that bitch twist the truth. I own half of this fucking house and I'm just reaping my benefits." Noelle's mother seethed venomously, "You think your father can replace me and have a poisonous bitch raise my daughter? He always thought he could do better, that's why I left..." Her mother seemed to be going off on some hateful tangent. And Noelle didn't know what to think of her anymore.

Her mother wasn't her mom anymore and it hurt beyond words could explain. 

How bitter was this? Her father knew exactly what he was dealing with and knew Noelle didn't need to see her mother this way. He wanted her to keep the good memories of her mother without it being spoiled by the sour moments her mother had. 

The deadbolt in the front door shifted, Noelle and her mother both snapped their attention to the front door. Margo opened the door and was surprised to see Noelle out of bed until she saw a random woman standing on the other side of the room. Noelle's father followed in shortly with Jason holding his hand through the door.