Chapter Twelve

Saturday came faster than Noelle anticipated. It was currently 6:30PM and her parents were getting ready for their date night. Her dad wore a nice blue button-up shirt and her step-mom wore a gorgeous maternal black dress that grazed the floor. She was currently putting in pearl earrings and fixing her make-up as her dad sat on the couch waiting for her. 

Noelle knocked on her door as her step-mom was fiddling with her pearl necklace. Lydia looked up and smiled at Noelle, "Noe, thank you so much for baby-sitting the boys for us. You have no idea how much we appreciate it."

"No problem. Do you think I can have a friend over so we can study?" Noelle asked as she rested on the frame of her parent's door. 

"Sure, sweetie, I just gotta meet them first before we go." Lydia replied. As she finished putting on her necklace and kissed Noelle's cheek.

Carson pulled up in her drive way and rung her doorbell and was met by an old barking dog and a very tall black man dressed in a blue button-up. Noelle's dad raised his eye brow, "Can I help you?"

Carson shoved his hands into his pockets, "Is your daughter home, sir?"

"Who's asking?"Noelle's dad made Carson sweat a bit.

"Uh Carson Holt, sir."

Noelle's dad continued to stared at the stocky white boy with an unwavering stare. Until a petite and very pregnant Korean woman broke the stare with a charming smile, "Oh! You must be Noelle's study friend. Come in, Sweetie!" Lydia said excitedly. Noelle's dad looked surprised.

"Wait! He's here to see Noelle? I thought he was here to see Margo." Noelle's dad said with surprise written on his face. "Well, in that case, it was nice meeting you, Carter. Don't let the door hit you on the way out." 

Baxter was still barking at Carson like a maniac. Noelle came downstairs to see her parents talking to a nervous Carson Holt. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. Lydia turned around, "There she is now, Noelle! Your friend, Carson, is such a gentleman."

Noelle's dad glanced down at his watch, "We gotta hit the road or they'll give away our table." He looked back up to Carson and Noelle, "No funny business and keep an eye on the boys. Do I make myself clear?"

"Oh come on, Sweetie. Don't be such a stickler. We'll be back around 10:00PM, okay?" Lydia said as she opened the front door. She stepped out first.

"Also, Noe, your mother sent another postcard, it's on the table in the kitchen." Noelle's father shut the door. And suddenly it was just the two of them. Carson let out a breath, finally able to relax. 

"Jesus Christ, I thought your dad was gonna rip off my arms and beat me to death with them." He laughed softly.

"Don't underestimate him." Noelle patted his shoulder and headed for the kitchen. Carson looked around her quaint townhouse. There were family portraits, baby-pictures and graduation photos, Christmas photos, clay art made by the children. There was a photo of a Korean girl with long jet black hair and almond eyes and his Noelle dressed up for Halloween--the picture couldn't have been taken more than a couple years ago. The border of the frame said 'sisters' in pink letters. Carson realized that even though most of this family wasn't related through blood, they were more of a family than his. 

Carson moved on to the next picture of Noelle as a child with pig-tails and missing front teeth, smiling a huge smile.

Noelle walked into the kitchen and saw a postcard with Dolly Parton on one side of the card with the border saying 'WELCOME TO DOLLYWOOD.' She turned the card over and read the brief letter her mom wrote.