Doll Faces

ᴰⁱˢᶜˡᵃⁱᵐᵉʳ: ᴵ ᵘˢᵉᵈ ˡʸʳⁱᶜˢ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵒⁿᵍ ᴰᵒˡˡʰᵒᵘˢᵉ ᵇʸ ᴹᵉˡᵃⁿⁱᵉ ᴹᵃʳᵗⁱⁿᵉᶻ ᵃˢ ⁱᵗ ʳᵉᵃˡˡʸ ᶠⁱᵗᵗᵉᵈ ⁱⁿ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵗʰᵉ ʷᵃʸ ᴷᵃᵗ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏˢ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʰᵉʳ ᶠᵃᵐⁱˡʸ ˢᵒ ⁱᶠ ᵗʰⁱˢ ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˢᵉᵉᵐˢ ᵃ ᵇⁱᵗ ʷᵉⁱʳᵈ ⁱᵗ'ˢ ᵇᵉᶜᵃᵘˢᵉ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵍᵉᵗᵗⁱⁿᵍ ᵃ ᵍˡⁱᵐᵖˢᵉ ⁱⁿᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ʷᵃʸ ˢʰᵉ ʳᵉᵃˡˡʸ ᶠᵉᵉˡˢ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʰᵉʳ ˡⁱᶠᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶠᵃᵐⁱˡʸ.

"Tell me about your family Katherine" I heard the words, but my attention was on the pouring rain I could see out of the window, there was a storm outside, the sky was a dark blue, and the clouds were a gunmetal gray color.

It looked how I felt.

"My family?" I repeated, but my gaze and attention hadn't moved from the roaring storm going out just the other side of the locked window. It had been two weeks since my talk of being well enough to leave, and I was trying to be on my best behavior, but today felt different.

A storm lingered over me too.

"Yes, your mother, father and twin sister" Dr. Myers pushed as she sat patiently in front of me, by the tone of her voice I think she knew something was happening with me that this session wasn't going to be one of our breakthroughs.

"My father is Neil is a businessman, my mother Maureen was a housewife but passed away almost three years ago, and my sister is Sidney she's older than me but only by a little bit" I answered robotically as if I had done this a thousand times.

"That's lovely, Katherine, but I'm asking you about your family, not the overview of the white picket fenced family you were taught to say" I quickly glanced at the female doctor. Still, my face was emotionless, even with the surprise I felt.

I remember now.

I had  told her about how it had always been drilled into our heads that we were the perfect all American family, we had the 'apple pie life' . The hard-working husband, the homemaker who always had a smile on her face and food on the table, and then the two inseparable darling twin sisters.

It was all a fucking lie.

If anyone truly looked closer, if they took a peek behind the curtains, they'd see the truth.

A husband who overlooks his wife's infidelities, the homemaker who liked the men in the neighborhood a little too much, the oldest twin who shadows her mom so much she can't see past her lies and deception.

And then there was the illegitimate son that gets forgotten or is unknown by all except the youngest twin who hates everything and everyone so much she gets put into an insane asylum.

Everything always had to be perfect, everything, even pictures it was always 'Picture, picture, smile for the picture. Katherine pose with your sister, why won't you be a good sister?'