Best Friends

Sitting on Cici's bed, I played with one of her stuffed animals as she danced around the room, looking for a cardigan to go with her outfit, not that we were going anywhere, but these sorority girls always had to look good

Seeing her yawn, I smirked "late night? a midnight stroll from Ted's, maybe?" I questioned with a laugh as my friend threw a sock at me.

Cici blushed the same hot pink color as the cardigan she held before she rolled her eyes, looking upset. "Yeah, well, he's an ass anyway" I frowned at my friend as she brushed away a tear.

"Did he hurt you?" I whispered as she thankfully shook her head, I didn't need to be beating up any guys right now, but I would.

"No, he just, all he does is drink and party. I just want to be with him and not have to babysit him," she admitted as tears fell from her eyes. I wiped them away the best I could as she leaned into me and let herself cry.

Listening to her final sniff, I grabbed her hand and looked at her seriously, "Want me to kick his ass?" Like I said, I totally would kick Ted's ass. He doesn't deserve someone like Cici.

I smiled when she let out a small, sad laugh as she reached for a tissue off the nightstand. "No, We'll work things out. We always do."

Frowning at her defeated tone, my eyebrows knitted together, "Well, you shouldn't have to. You should have someone who would move mountains for you".

Cici gave me another smile, and I sighed. "Love is crazy."

She nodded along with me in agreement, "have you ever been in love?" she asked genuinely as I looked at her thoughtfully. I guess I 'loved' my family because they were genetically tied to me that love is ingrained when you're born.

Then I thought of Stu and the way he made me feel even before we got together. A part of me always thought we would end up together, maybe at college or even after, but I guess now that's impossible. "Once," I admitted but didn't elaborate.

A silence enveloped the two of us as we sat silently thinking about our loves, recent and lost.

"You know what, let's go to Baskin Robbins and get a chocolate milkshake and forget all about love, boys, and all that other stupid stuff," I ordered with a huff as I stood from the bed.

Cici laughed at me as she stood by my side. "Only if we can get extra cream on top."

I turned and gave her a look. "Well, duh!" grabbing my bag, I set off with Cici trailing behind me. "Who gets a heartbreak chocolate milkshake with no cream" I stopped when I felt an arm loop into mine and saw Cici grinning at my side as she pulls me in the direction of Baskin Robbins.

Smiling to myself, I listened to some funny story she was telling me, and I realized maybe Roman had been right all these years. Maybe my family had been holding me back.

Giggling along with Cici about our stories, I felt freer than I had ever been.

"Kat?" I looked up to see Dewey smiling at me from the counter as he sipped on what looked to be a strawberry milkshake.

"Dewey, you're here, still." I greeted him, giving him a small hug with a confused laugh wondering why he was still hanging around, but I didn't overthink it. Dewey was looking out for us.

"You look happy," Dewey said as he looked between Cici and me, I saw the happiness in his eyes when he glanced between my new friend and me. Maybe he was worried about me fitting in.

"Yeah, I am. Oh, Dewey, this is Cici, my friend" Dewey and Cici nod at each other as the blonde gave a small, timid wave to the older man.

"What are you girls having? It's on me," I smiled up at Dewey as he gave me a small nod pulling out his wallet.

"Well, Dewey, we're fixing heartbreak today, so two chocolate milkshakes with extra cream and chocolate" Dewey smiled and gave me a pat on the shoulder as he passed by.

I looked back at Cici, who was looking at me knowingly. I knew she followed what happened last year, so she definitely knew who Dewey was. "Thanks for being here with me, Katherine" I smirked when Cici used my full name, knowing I hated it.

"You're welcome..." I stopped when I realized I didn't know what Cici stood for.

Cici laughed at me before wrinkling her nose. "Casey, my name is Casey," my body froze in my chair as she told me her name. How did I not know her name was really Casey.

"Well, what are friends for" I joked, feeling like I was underwater and my head was spinning as she laughed, wrinkling her nose.

"Best friends," she corrected as I looked up again, noticing the blonde hair, wide smile, and musical laugh. Holy shit.

Letting out a small awkward laugh, I nodded slowly as I gazed at Cici. "Yeah. Of course, best friends."