Film Theory

Loitering around the hallway, I tried to make myself as inconspicuous as possible while my classmates make their way into the room labeled: 1408

Film Theory was my first class of the day, so not only was it the first class I would be taking since high school, I was already a week behind everyone else. My anxiety was forcing me to chew my nails at the thought of simply finding a seat in the room.

"There you are," a bubbly voice called out as I jumped away from the door like a surprise cat. I quickly turned around to see a concerned-looking Cici give some guy a kiss before walking towards me. "I was wondering if you would make it here," she laughed gently before placing a hand on my shoulder. "You okay?".

Giving her a smile, I nodded as I subtly glanced into the room to see where everyone was sat and for any empty seats at the back of the room; maybe being out of the center would make me feel better and away from everyone's prying eyes.

"it's been a while since I've been in a class and with other people," I tell her nonchalantly, trying not to show her how much it's affecting me but still the thought of being stuck in the room with a bunch of strangers gave me a headache.

"Do you need some time" Cici questioned as she rubbed my shoulder comfortingly as I shook my head; if I didn't go in now, I never would. Taking a deep breath, I gave the blonde a nod as we moved through the door.

All eyes immediately turned to my fake confident entrance into the room; I grinned to myself, seeing both Randy and Mickey in the class. At least I'll have three people here that I know – it could be worse.

Cici tapped my shoulder as she moved to sit in one of the seats while I gave my attention to the teacher who was leaning against his desk with a smile reading from a piece of paper "You must be Katherine Prescott, my late addition."

Sucking in a short breath, I nodded sheepishly. "It's just Kat," I say as he nods at my words with a smile of mischievousness.

"Well 'just Kat' I'm Mr. Lecter not unlike Hannibal but also not related" I let out a laugh at his words, feeling more comfortable than I was before. "Take a seat anywhere," he motioned to the room "today, we're talking about plot holes in films."

Turning around, I noticed a free chair next to Cici, who was waving energetically at me and motioning for me to sit down next to her. Unfortunately for me, the seat was right in the middle of the class, but I sucked it up in favor of sitting next to my new friend.

Mickey, who sat just the left behind my seat, smirked at me as I put my bag on the floor. "How's your fist," He asked as he leaned his forward onto his desk to get closer to me.

"Sore," I chuckled, showing him the fresh bruises appearing on my hand, "but that's not the first time I've hit her" Mickey laughed out loud, causing the other students to look over at us with raised eyebrows.

Feeling embarrassed, I hid my face as I sank down into my seat as Mickey chuckled again. I glanced at Cici, who gave me a small smile and a wink as she lifted her eyebrows teasingly. I let out a soft groan as she giggled.

Getting my notebook out, I started taking notes as Mr. Lecter began showing us a video of The Shawshank Redemption. "Who put the poster back in place after the daring escape in The Shawshank Redemption? Andy spent months on that tunnel and covered his tracks thanks to a poster...".

Blinking slowly, I listened to the calm tone of my new lecturer's words before feeling a little hazy; the lack of sleep I had been getting was coming back to bite me in the ass.

Letting my eyes close for a second, my breath evened out as the class continued on without me.

Hearing a cough, I opened my eyes, seeing the movie had been paused, and Mr. Lecter gave me a small amused smile making the class laugh again. "Sorry," I grimaced as I sit up in my seat.

The older man once again gave me an entertained expression as he glanced around the room. "I'm paring you up for your assignments. I want an essay on plot holes..." I looked out the window, frowning when I saw something that looked like a person ducking behind a tree.

"Kat?" Quickly taking my eyes away from the window, I saw Mr. Lecter watching me with a little concern this time as he too glanced out of the window as if wondering what I was looking at.

"Huh?" I asked dumbly as he smiled, shaking his head; this man has the patience of a saint. 

"You're partnered with Mickey for the essay," he explained, motioning to Mickey, who gave me a finger wave.

Shaking off my sleep and confusion at the person outside, I smiled at the dark-haired boy and took the assignment paper I was offered from the older man as he whispered to me, "are you okay?".

My mouth curved up into a small smile at his concern, but I nodded at his words; it was probably just first-day jitters, and thinking about it, I wouldn't be too shocked if it was a reporter trying their luck.

The bell rang out as everyone quickly packed their things. "You all have a week to do your essays," Mr. Lecter shouted as most of the class ran out of the door, making the older man laugh – I liked him.

Putting my notebook in my bag, I also made my way out of the room as Cici pulled me into an arm loop. "I have to go and find Ted again, but if you want, we can meet up later," she said as I frowned in confusion.

Cici gave a duh face when she saw my expression. "Oh, Ted is my boyfriend. You probably saw him with me earlier. Anyway, I gotta go, catch you later?" I nodded, freezing when she gave me a small hug before bouncing away happily.

Letting out a tired breath, I leaned against the wall and let my head fall back. That was only one class, and I already felt exhausted. Closing my eyes, I took another breath tensing when I felt something brush past me.