Forget Me Not

Sitting in Dr

Sitting in Dr. Myers's office, I was trying not to frown as she eyed me; I knew she had already written my discharge papers, but I honestly think she's just doing this for show. To see if I'd crack under the pressure of leaving and put up one last fight before I go.

She's a sadistic bitch at times. I loved it.

"Do you think I'm ready to leave?" I question as her eyes opened wider in shock at my question, in the two years I'd been here I never spoke the first word.

She sighed and crossed her legs. "In my opinion, I think you would have benefited from more closer care" my mouth dried up at her words as I felt confusion seep through my body, then why was she letting me go if she thought I wasn't ready.

"Then why did Sue tell me you already signed my papers?" Dr. Myers's face lit up with mischief as I showed her the ace in my sleeve, I never divulged anything Sue ever told me and visa versa, but I had to know if I was leaving or not.

"You do not belong here," She admitted with a raised eyebrow. "Yes, I think you would benefit from more guidance, but I don't think you'll get what you need from this place" I just stayed silent as I watched her explain.

Taking a deep breath, I didn't really know what to say "You can always come back here Katherine, but I think it's time for you to be out there and show the world who's the boss now" I smiled at her words as I nodded, I was ready to take this world by storm.

But I was also ready to just be Kat Prescott, an ordinary girl who goes to college and wanting to make a life for herself with a clean slate.

"Your father's here" my head shot up at her words, and she gave me one of her knowing smiles "he left some of your clothes with Nurse Taylor and is waiting for you."

I felt my chest tighten a little at the thought of getting out of here, all I had left to do was get dressed and walk out the door. It seemed so simple but that compared to the aggressive tackles I had been on the brunt end of when I tried to run told a different story.

Standing up, I felt like I should make a gesture like a hug or some type of embrace when I realized I was awkwardly holding out my hand for her to shake as if I hadn't met with her every week for the last two years.

Letting out a small laugh she took my hand in hers but didn't shake it, she just held it like a hand hug as she grinned at me "You'll do just fine, Katherine. Just remember to breathe," I felt my eyes watering as I nodded at her words. I was getting out.

"Thank you" I whispered as I left her office only looking back once to memorize her face, I wasn't planning on coming back to this place, and I didn't want to forget who helped me along the way, maybe it was a story I can tell when I'm 80 and surrounded by grandchildren.

I was planning on being the morbid type of Granny who does nothing but curse, tell weird stories, and try to get into fights with other old Grannies.

Opening my door I paused seeing my name written on the whiteboard that was stuck to the outside of the door I smiled as I wiped the marker away leaving it bare, this was no longer my room, it's a room that I spent two years of my life, but now I was moving on.

Walking into the room I smiled seeing a pile of clothes waiting for me on the bed, I had only worn the scrub like top and bottoms that were given the in-patients since I began my time here so seeing real clothes made me feel like this was the beginning of my new journey.

Knowing I couldn't keep my dad waiting I quickly put on the plain black t-shirt before tugging on my worn-out jeans and Dr. Martens, I felt more like myself again. Glancing down at the bed, my heart stopped when I saw the last piece of clothing left for me to put on.

"Kat?" I heard Sue's voice, but I didn't acknowledge her. "I knocked, but you didn't answer" honestly, the only thing I heard was the blood rushing to my ears. "Are you okay?" she asked, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

Picking up the gray cardigan, I just stared at it. "This was Stu's" I muttered, holding the material to my face and smiling to myself as I was hit with his scent, I had borrowed this from him not long before everything happened.

"Oh, do you want me to take it away?" Sue questioned quietly as I almost hugged the clothing into myself like a hug, one that I'll never get again, I shook my head as I sniffed trying to keep my tears to myself.

"No, it's fine. I'll keep it" Putting my arms through the sleeves, I pulled the cardigan close to me feeling oddly safe now considering who it belonged to, but I couldn't help but still feel that love towards Stu.

"Come on, your dad's waiting," my stomach did a weird flip as I felt both excited and nervous at the thought of being able to leave... without being tackled and sedated. Taking my already packed suitcase, courtesy of Sue, I dragged it behind me as I officially vacated my temporary home.

Walking through the familiar color-coded halls I did two years ago except now everything was different, I wasn't so lost anymore and actually wanted to make something of myself.

Not that I wasn't sad to be leaving Sue behind and that I was totally fixed because I wasn't, and a part of me knows I never really will be, but like Sue and Dr. Myers said, 'Take it one step at a time.'

Just before leaving the official in-patient area, I could see my dad pacing the waiting area before I turned to Sue, but words escaped me as I tried to tell her how I felt.

She just gave me one of her knowing smiles and pulled me into a familiar warm hug "Don't look at me like that, I'll see you soon. Just because you're leaving doesn't mean I won't see you again".

My face brightened at her words, and the voice gnawing in the back of my mind that was telling me that Sue was abandoning me stopped. "I'll come to see you when I have my check-up and when I get time away from college."

My promise made her smile grow, and I knew that all she had was this place and me, so she was probably feeling the same way I was right now. "Don't forget me before then," I begged as she gave me a small laugh.

"Who could ever forget you, there's only one Katherine Prescott. Thank god " I smiled along with her joke before turning my head and seeing my dad waving at me looking very happy "Go on before I keep you here."

Hesitating for a moment, I gave Sue another rare hug and finally leaving the in-patient area. "Hi Dad," I whispered, letting him pull me into his chest and feeling a few tears drop on the top of my head.

"I've missed you so much," He said, and I wanted to argue that he was here last week for a visit, but I understood what he was saying. Taking my suitcase from my hand, he placed an arm around me. "Come on, little bird, let's get you home."