Chapther 14

Two weeks later
_______________________________________

It's been two weeks now since Hannah died. The theachers still brings it up in class sometimes, and everybody's still kind off down. I am too. Since I didn't know her very well I try to be there for Sheri and Jess who did know her. But for the past weeks everybody has started to act weird. By everybody I mean Jessica, Zach, Justin and Monty. Sheri has noticed it too. It's not because they are sad about Hannah, it's about something else. When I ask Monty about it he gets angry and tells me it's nothing. But if he acts like that it's clearly something.

At school I just eat lunch with Sheri. Not far away from us Jessica, Justin, Zach, Monty, Courtney, Alex Standall and Marcus Cole sits and talks about something. They look upset.
"What's wrong with them?" I say to Sheri.
"No clue. Have you talked to Monty about it?"
"I have tried. Whenever I mention it He says that it's nothing and that I should 'shut the fuck up about it'."
"Should we walk up to them?" She asks me and smiles a bit.
"Sure." I smirk back.

Me and Sheri walks up to them.
"Clay could say something." I can hear Jessica say before she sees us.
"Hi." Sheri says. They look up at us.
"Hi?" Alex answers. Monty gives me a weird look. I think he's angry with me.
"I'm sorry but this is like a private conversation." Alex says.
"If it's so private why dont you talk about it somewere else?" Sheri says.
"Say what you want and leave." Alex says. I open my mouth to say something but Monty interupts me.
"Get the fuck out off here." He raises his voice. I look down. I hate when he talks to me like that, it makes me feel ashamed. Sheri is about to say something but I grab her hand.
"Let's go." I say.
"Whatever."

After school I wait for Monty by his car. I was suposed to sleep at his house over the weekend. When he gets to me he doesn't say anything. He barely looks at me. He gets in the car and so does I. Monty only lived ten minutes away from the school, but this is the ten longest minutes off my life. We doesn't share a word. When we get to his house I stop in front off the door. Monty looks at me.
"Are you coming?"
"No." I say after a while. "Not if we're just going to sit there and not say anything." I say.
"And how are you gonna' get home?" He grins.
"At this point I am more than happy to walk." I say and turns around. He grabs my arm.
"Hey, stop. What is it?" He asks.
"You're shuting me out!" I can hear my voice breaking a little. He frons.
"When have I ever done that?"
"You did it today! And you have been doing it now for almost two fucking weeks!" I say. I turn around to walk away but he grabs my waist.
"I'm sorry, okay?"
"You're sorry?" I look at him.
"I am. Just come inside and I'll explain everything. I promise."
"Okay." I say. I dry my tears and follows him inside. When we get to his room I sit down on a chair.

"So Hannah Baker did this tapes before she died." Monty says. I raises a eyebrow at him. "On them she explains why she did what she did and whos fault it was. There are thirteen tapes. In every tape she talks about one speciall person, and I am on them." He say. I look at him.
"Oh my god, what did you do?" He looks ashamed.
"This happend a while ago and I know that it's bad."
"You're freaking me out, just tell me."
"We went on a date once. She didn't want to have sex with me so I started to spread rumors about her."
"Why would you do that? You're an asshole!" I yell at him.
"I know! Okay? I know. I'm doing better now. I actually apologised to her like a month ago." He say.
"Really?"
"Yes!"
"I belive you." I say. He smiles. "Who else is on them?" I ask.
"Uhm... Justin Foley, Jessica Davis, Alex Standal, Tyler Down, Courtney Crimsen, Marcus Cole, Zach Dempsey, me, Ryan Shaver, Justin again, Clay Jenssen, Bryce Walker and Porter."
"Is that why you have been sitting with them?" I ask. He nods.
"Jenssen has the tapes now. He treathend Jessica to tell people about them." He says.
"Okay."
"Okay?"
"Yeah, okay. I dont see why that should be bad." I say. He looks at me.
"I mean, you were an ass, but it's not like you'll get in trouble for spreading rumors." I say.
"Yeah, but some kids did really bad things. They could go to jail."
"Let them, it's not more than fair. But what things?" I say. He gives me a weird look.
"You can trust me! I just want to know what's going on." I say. He sigh.
"Things like, stalking... and rape." I look at him.
"Rape?" He nods.
"Bryce." He say.
"He raped Hannah?" I ask. He nods again.
"And Jessica." He says.
"What?"
"Yes, she say she just had sex with Justin but I think she lies. She's fucked up."
"Oh my god."

We dont talk about the tapes after that. It's clear that Monty doesn't want to. I'm just glad he told me at all.

At 12 AM we hear a car coming in. Monty gets up from the bed to look out the window. He looks back at me.
"It's my mom. I should intreduse you to her." He says.
"Okay." I say and get up from the bed as well. I'm about to open the door to get out but Monty grabs my waist and pulls me back.
"Shouldn't you put a shirt on, babygirl?" He smirks.
"Oh shit, right." I say. He laughs. I grab one off Montys shirts and puts it on. I also grab a pair off shorts from the ground. I put them on. Monty gives me an amused look.
"Be carefull, wouldn't want you to drown." He laughs.
"You're so funny." I say and fake a laugh.
"I know." He says and kisses me. He goes to open the door.
"Wait." I say. He looks at me.
"Yeah?"
"Shouldn't you put a shirt on?" I say.
"I live here, I dont need a shirt."

When we get out from Montys room I see his mom in the kitchen. As soon as she sees us she runs up to us and gives Monty a hug. Then she grabs his face. She thoutches his bruises. She gives him a deep look.
She says something in spanish. Monty push her hand away. He says something back to her. I can tell he gets nervous.
"But mom, I would like you to meet Hazel, my girlfriend." He say. She looks at me and smiles. I smile back. We shake hand.
"I have work tomorrow, I have to go to sleep." She says in a spanish accent. "It was nice meeting you Hazel." She say.
"You too, mrs. De La Cruz." I say.
"Good night Montgomery." She says and kisses his cheeks. Then she walks away.