F i f t e e n

━━━━━

Beginning Of The End

━━━━━

"So, you're into blond, Ken-like, bartenders these days"? Gregg presented a question within the glacier air as the duo strolled casually through the fundraiser with linked arms. Flocks of people passed them by, all preoccupied with their own individual concerns.

"Yeah, sure" Alaska shrugged her shoulders, not paying much attention to the conversation as she tightened her grip on the beer bottle held firmly in her hand, as though that minuscule act would aid her in reaching back down to earth.

"How's skating with him"? The brunet tipped his head to the side as he surveyed the girl he had known for years, searching for the answer in her mannerisms, ones he had grown all too familiar with. He sensed the truth before the girl even opened her mouth to speak, but let her do it anyway out of courtesy.

"It's-" Alaska began as she let out a distasteful sigh and attempted to come up with an honest, yet vague wording to describe the situation "Going" She squinted her eyes excessively, aware that she had given her honest stance away to Gregg. Then again, there was no doubt he had read her as he liked so badly doing back at home, so she opted to giving him a side glance, signaling to him that she was fully conscious of his ploys which resulted in him gifting her an innocent smile in return.

"And how's life here? In this small town"? The boy motioned his hands to their environment. The mountains that hugged them warmly, the gentle snow, alongside the lodges that were set in stone left and right. Small efforts of nature to create the enfolding atmosphere and tenderness, one Alaska hardly found herself appreciating as she should. She was so caught up with things sometimes, that she barely took the time to appreciate what was given to her for free, the only thing in her life that made sense, that she didn't have to crack her skull open in order to figure out, or contemplate for hours on end before bed. 

"Interesting to say the least" Alaska sighed wistfully at the thought of all that she's been through "And you? How are things for you? Find a partner yet"? She raised her brows jovially, though she couldn't help but feel the pounding guilt in her stomach, the one that penalized her for hardly messaging the boy throughout their time apart, for hardly knowing what he was up to. They exchanged occasional messages after her departure, but it could never amount to the good old days, those they spent always together, side by side. Alaska girl felt horrible with the concept of Gregg having to come all the way to Sun Valley just to hear something from her again. 

"Yeah, I forgot to break the news to you. She's nice, I like her" Gregg beamed as she looked up at the sun shinning amidst the clouds. For a moment, it seemed as though he envisioned someone in his head. His new partner, Alaska briskly assumed. 

"Does that mean I'll be seeing you in Nationals"? She tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear, focusing on the boy that strolled beside her attentively, the thought of competing against Gregg seeming far too peculiar to her.

"You bet on it, Princess" He nudged her shoulder with his, earning a chuckle out of her "You thinking what I'm thinking"? He questioned as the duo paused in front of an outdoors ice skating rink simultaneously, their love for the sport calling them to reach into the maze, to take a step closer. 

It didn't take long before they were adorned with the authoritative, honed blades, sailing across the frosty ice with the gentleness of the waves across a shore. Others surrounded them, families gathered to make memories, friends congregated to heckle each other's skills, athletes making the most of their day off, yet as they were in a crowd of so many, their hearts beat as one and it was as though, no one was around them. It was just them. The two partners, that had been through so many adventures together, both good and bad.