T w e n t y - S i x

━━━━━

Hands Up

━━━━━

The undersides of her soiled sneakers kissed the land below as she panted rapidly, heart strong, born to run. As opposed to an apathetic morning at the rise of dawn, where her roommate or mother barely managed to wake her up for a forenoon run, out there within the cold, she ran as though that's all the comfort she knew. Suffocated with heat, the winter barely able to reach her, she raced, because that's all she could think of, all she could do in these moments of simplicity, where her mind battled with her heart.   

She breached through the ponderous doors of the infamous lodge with all the remaining power she had, all so she could finally reach her goal. Only before she managed to do so, she knocked into another being, her soul momentarily withdrawing from her body, resulting in her feeling all the pain of the journey she had taken herself on.

"Woah, careful"! A deep voice uttered, one the brunette recognized well, but surely not in the moments where her mind rushed as though she was on her way to victory, or a great loss "Alaska"?

"Shit, sorry, Marcus" The pair skater apologized as she looked up at the victim that had fallen into her craziness, at long last, returning back to earth. Alaska held a hand over her chest as it heaved up and down, all while the heartbeat within threatened to burst right through. 

"It's fine, are you alright"? Marcus inquired as he shared a look with Alana, a new member in Sun Valley, one that had taken a liking to the bartender, same as he had taken a liking to her.

"Oh, I'm fucking splendid" She would stomp her foot against the ground if she could, but she didn't have to, because they could both tell she wasn't well by the shortage of breathe and darting gaze, as though she was looking for something, someone "Kat brought destruction over my entire house. Do you know what the fuck is up with her? She's acting absolutely insane". 

"No. Ever since she quit her job, I haven't seen her at all" The bartender shrugged his shoulders at the notion, as though the idea of it had long sunk in his mind. He recalled the moment Kat quit, one he couldn't explain to himself. A certain level of energy surged through her, one that made her say words he never thought he'd hear, almost as though in these moments, she was possessed by someone else. 

"She-What? What do you mean"? Alaska's mouth opened agape, for the day prior she saw Kat put her uniform on, presumably for a shift at the restaurant "She went to work yesterday".

"Well, it sure as hell wasn't here" He shared an uncomfortable look with Alana, who found herself listening intently to the conversation in an attempt to piece things together. 

"What else did she lie about, Jesus" The brunette grabbed her facial features in her hands, burying her face in the sorrow. She still couldn't grasp the words her friend had told her. She had a feeling something was off with Kat, and though she knew she had to do something, she felt heavily inclined to lift her phone to her ear and call her mother. 

"Are you okay? Do you need some water"? Alana suggested sympathetically as she rested her palm on Alaska's shoulder, the girl seeming to be lost within her inconveniences.

"I don't know" The pair skater winced at the sudden touch, not expecting it "Kat hosted this party. There's a bunch of strangers in my house, probably a shitload of drugs too, and I don't know what to do. I can't go to the police, if they find out it's my house I'm dead" She rambled quickly, barely letting the duo any option to catch up with her "Ugh, fuck, I think there's something seriously wrong with her".