T h i r t y

━━━━━

No More Secrets

━━━━━

Her forefinger traced across her skin as the touch mirrored itself in the looking glass, one that showcased the outcome to her beauty routine, one that normally would reflect her mother behind her, bickering about some other athlete, or another topic the daughter didn't bother to listen to. At the time, it bothered Alaska, but there and then, isolated on her own throne in the eerie changing room, she knew she would take all of those moments back in a heartbeat, anything so long as her mother was safe from harm.

All of her techniques, all of her knowledge, she had, at the end of the day, taken from her mother, and perhaps Charlotte wasn't there that day, and wouldn't be there the next, but at least Alaska knew, she would be there in her heart. Despite the realization she was more than grateful for, it saddened her, how much hardships she had to face to realize what her mother meant to her, and how she pushed her mother away to the point of no return. She no doubt regretted all of her lethal comments of scorn, same as the endless nights she was convinced she said the last word and left the house in a hurry, sending her mother into a spiral of grief all over again.

"Well well well, look who it is" The sociable voice broke Alaska out of her troubling thoughts, her gaze taking away the blur she was in, fixating on the figure that appeared beyond her mirror, resulting in her to do nothing but turn around with an overwhelmed smile, for it was a situation she was dreading to face, but knew she would have to with time.

"Jenn! Kat"! Alaska greeted as she let out a nervous sigh "I've been looking for you" Her eyes scanned the two, Kat adorned in a show dress, Jenn, on the other hand, adorned with a pair of crutches, to support her throughout the healing of her dreadful injury, a journey Alaska felt bad for not being apart of. Her friend was in need, and right at the most pitiful time, she had left. The brunette knew more than anyone how much her friend loved skating, and having to stay away from the ice surely broke her heart. Perhaps that's why Jenn stood in front of her with much distaste, mad at her for vanishing at such a desperate time. 

"You owe us quite the explanation" Jenn took the lead, her hands crossed in disdain, unimpressed by the brunette's appearance, who seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth with no aim to return to the rink on time for the competition. 

"What are you doing here? I thought you were leaving" Kat gave Jenn a sharp look, as though to order her to tone the venomous stance down, the injured skater definitely standing on guard, as opposed to her best friend, who seemed confused, even concerned, for the well-being of the pair skater.

"I thought you already left" Jenn added with a callous eyebrow raise, for her source differed from Kat's, and she was confident Alaska wouldn't show her face again after everything that took place.

"Well-uh" The pair skater rubbed the back of her neck, attempting to collect all of her thoughts into a well formed explanation. 

"Basically, you lied" Jenn pursed her lips together and shrugged her shoulders, protective for her own reasons, ones which Alaska would learn with time. 

"I did" Alaska nodded shamefully "Things happened. Um, my mom's in the hospital, I was there all week" She exhaled trembly and ran her hand across her dress for much needed stability.

"Oh shit" Jenn's features formed into ones of disturbance, taken aback by the response, for her original assumptions could never amount to the truth.