T w e n t y - E i g h t

━━━━━

911, what's your emergency? 

━━━━━

The intoxicating beverage flowed out of the container with ease as the blond poured himself a drink. He rubbed his forehead wearily, the day not being kind to him. All he could think of was, to drink it all away until he wouldn't care anymore, until he would forget, only that thought process disappeared the moment the hesitant melody of a scandalous knock appeared on his door, one that behind it, stood far more complex notions. 

When he opened the door, he met with Alaska, only as opposed to having a wide, mischievous smile resting on her face, had her facial features directed to her sneakers, avoiding his introductory gaze.  

"What are you doing here"? He lifted his chin nonchalantly, oblivious to her circumstances "Need my help fighting someone again"? He hissed, and though he wasn't mad at her, he still couldn't help but bring the topic up.

"No" She barely voiced the word of denial, before looking up at him, her face evidence of a vigorous battle fought. Her eyelids were reddened with tears, her lips chapped and faded, her soul beaten down to the point of no return. He had never seen her so lost and hopeless, so shattered. 

Before he could even think of uttering a word, of taking a step forward, she did the only thing she could think of, the only thing that could ease her heart. Alaska wrapped her arms around Justin, drew herself into his touch and he didn't hesitate to return the gesture, embrace her back as though he was her only shield, the only thing keeping her from the unknown. 

The fabric of his shirt watered with tears that spilled from her as a waterfall, the way they never did before. Still, despite the pain that seeped through, in his touch she felt safe, felt as though it would be alright, and he held her there, cradled her as though she was the only thing that mattered, because, perhaps with time, he started to believe so.

"What happened"? He whispered into her touch once he felt her chest balance and cease the endless race for additional breath. It seemed as though she had calmed down for the time being.

"I-I had" Alaska took a step back, shaking at the memory "I had a fight with my mom. It was bad" She rested both her palms on her face, letting the cold touch diffuse the bitter heat. 

"You guys fight, all parents and kids fight, it's okay" Justin rested his palm on her shoulder, rubbing it comfortingly. He surely couldn't keep count of how much he and his father had fought before, over the tiniest of things, same as over the biggest.

"It's not okay"! Alaska declared fiercely as she ambled deeper into the suite, yearning for movement as she always did when she was venting. She'd stride side to side across her house while she attempted to distract her mind from the emotions that threatened to take ahold of her. If someone was around, Kat or Jenn in particular, they'd eventually grow tired of her rash movements and convince her to stop and take a seat "The things I said, they weren't okay. I blamed her for everything that happened, it's not her fault" Alaska shook her head in dismay, recalling the amount of times she had called her mother names, or told her the words of horrors, especially when all along, she mirrored everything she actually wanted to say to herself "It's mine" She paused in place, freezing at the thought as Justin followed her in concern. 

"It's no one's fault" The blond shook his head confidently as he attempted to connect her gaze with his, to transmit some of the calm to her. He more than anyone knew what it was like to blame oneself for the passing of another, but thanks to the gift of time, he had moved on, learned to accept it was no one's fault.