Let's Fly

The Giant Behemoth was still alive and now it was beginning to change shape. It's mass redistributed to form a massive battering ram with legs; The only feature that remained of its previous form was it's two large horns. The ground shook once more as the living earthquake took another step towards the plantation and Strelizia.

From headquarters, Hachi stared hard at the display, while Nana clasped her hands together anxiously. On the monitor above them, a warning light flashed. Code 016's compatibility had fallen below zero.

"Did we really have to run out of time now?"

Squad 13 rushed to stop the Gutenberg -- time was running out. It would reach the wall and put the lives of everyone on the plantations at risk at this rate!

___________________

Flashing lights blinded Hiro as he slowly opened his eyes. He'd just had the strangest dream. He realized that he couldn't move his body, The only thing he could move was his eyes. He scanned the area around him and saw his own arm, mangled and swollen. The infection, the parasite he had been fighting for days, had finally taken over. Faintly, he could hear the voices of his teammates calling to him amid all the muted chaos around him. In front of him, Zero Two struggled as Strelizia was pounded again and again by the Klaxosaur's colossal blows.

"Wait... we didn't kill it?"

Hiro sighed, thinking to himself as he grew weaker,

I'm sorry Zero Two. I did everything I could but I guess this is as far as I go. Thank you for giving me the chance to fly with you.

Suddenly, Hiro remembered what the voice in his dream had told him.

"There you go again, feeling satisfied and giving up all by yourself. You're not even trying to listen to your partner."

His eyes widened as the Klaxosaur struck again, sending his partner reeling as she scratched and clawed at the display. blood splattered from her mouth onto her partner as he strained himself to look at her. Her teeth had become fangs, her nails had become claws and her horns and eyes were glowing red.

Stop, Zero Two! You can't do this on your own. If you keep going, even you will die.

Hiro wanted to yell those words, but he couldn't even speak as he watched the girl he had grown to like writhe in agony; His heart shattered.

Is this how it goes whenever your partner dies? You're forced to fight alone? You can't fly by yourself either?

Hiro felt his heartbeat begin to go faster as he found new determination. He wouldn't let Zero Two's suffering continue any longer. He wasn't satisfied. He wanted to help Zero Two. He wanted to ride with her in Strelizia again.

My wings exist for you!

Suddenly the blue infection receded, and Hiro was restored to his normal self. Wasting no time, he wrapped his arms around Zero Two from behind, placing one hand on her forehead. Instantly, she became silent and her glowing red eyes returned to turquoise green.

"Dar... ling?" Zero Two said, a hint of surprise in her colourless tone.

"I'm your partner." Hiro whispered in her ear, "I'm not going to leave you all alone."

___________________

Squad 13 raced to catch up to the Gutenberg class. It had already reached the wall and was slowly breaking it down, along with Strelizia. Suddenly a blinding light shone from the wall, causing (y/n) to shield his eyes.