The Beach Chapter

After the successful kissing with Plantation 26, Squad 13 was given a special vacation. But (Y/N) wasn't interested at all. While everyone else got ready to have some fun in the ocean that by some miracle, hadn't dried up like the rest of the world, (Y/N) was working away, trying to figure out why his titan would not fly. From Debbie's shoulder, Slone watched as (Y/N) worked. As he surveyed the electronics aimlessly, every few minutes he would stop and place a hand on his forehead. He seemed tired, and a little worn out. Slone wondered if he was ok because to her it was clear that he had no idea what he was looking for.

"Ack- shit!"

Suddenly, (y/n) quickly pulled his hands from the panel he was just checking.

"Let me guess... you got electrocuted."

(y/n) looked up at her, the thumb of his left hand in his mouth and his other wiping the tears welling up in his eyes.

That is... kinda cute. 

Slone couldn't look directly at him, it was too much. Then suddenly, she remembered something she'd learned after reading a manual.

"Why don't you check the actual turbines? we're in a desert after all."

(y/n)'s head turned towards the dust and sand encrusted jets. 

"Oh yeah..."

"You should probably clean those out," Slone said, winking at him.

"I should probably clean those out." (y/n) said, quickly taking his thumb out of his mouth and wiping it on his pants. 

To her surprise, after he said that, (y/n) started walking away.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to find some tools to clean out the jets."

"Your titan doesn't have a way to clean out its jets on its own?"

"...Actually, I have no idea."

(y/n) turned around and ran back to Debbie, and hopped into the cockpit. he looked around for a few seconds at all the buttons and switches

Slone waited a few seconds while (y/n) looked around. He didn't say anything, but she knew he was completely lost. 

"Try the maintenance panel and underneath the heading that says HVAC there should be a switch that says detergent nozzles. flip that on."

A few more seconds passed before tiny nozzles inside Debbie's VTOL jets activated, spraying high-pressure fluid through her jets, blasting away any foreign objects and getting rid of any dust, sand or klaxosaur blood that had dried onto the turbines. After 30 seconds the nozzles closed and (y/n) hopped out of the cockpit with a strained look on his face. Then, Debbie was reactivated and stood up.

"Thank you, Pilot. Maintenance successful. all VTOL and level Flight capabilities have been restored."

"Finally," (y/n) said, sighing.

"You're supposedly some kind of ace pilot and you cannot even maintain your own titan," Slone said, giggling at the embarrassed boy. 

"Says the girl who got taken out by a rifleman turned rookie pilot who had no prior titan experience," He shot back, sticking out his tongue. 

"What did you just say?-"

"Now now, this was supposed to be a break and yet you two are fighting."

"Doctor Franxx!" (y/n) turned towards the old man, "I actually need to talk to you." 

"What a coincidence I actually needed to speak to you as well, Both of you actually."

Dr. Franxx brought the two teens along with Debbie back to the giant cargo plane that had brought them to the beach. As they walked to his office inside the insanely big plane, they passed all kinds of equipment, including equipment resembling satellite dishes and lengths of cable.