Chapter 8

Woohoo what a week!! My college beat a rival football team which was exciting and now the weather is turning colder which I love!! Only thing that could be better is if I had more time to write. I wrote this during my spare time from school work and visits from my family but I got it finished. Faye gets to meet the Cullens and there is a sweet moment with Seth so I hope you enjoy it!!!

Don't forget to vote and comment!!  ;)

*********************************************************************************

            I’ve always been scared of the dark. It’s where bad things linger. I used to think when I was little that I was part of those things that go bump in the night. A monster. But my mother told me once that we weren’t monsters. That we were meant to protect this world from the things we called monsters. She only mentioned vampires then but I could imagine there are other things that could pose a threat to our livelihood, even other shifters.

            One thing that keeps me up at night, sitting in the darkness that consumes my fears, is the image of the green eyes of my predator. He’s always hunting, always chasing me. Eventually, I feel he will catch me and that the darkness will swallow me whole for me never to return. But that hadn’t happened yet.

            The darkness that surrounded my mind now was slowly starting to fade. At first I didn’t hear anything other than my breathing but the more aware I became, the more my senses honed in on the smallest details. The constant beeping of a machine that was coming from beside me. The soft feeling of whatever I was laying on, perhaps a mattress. And the smell. It was a mix of some of the pack members but there was a distinct sickeningly sweet smell.  Only one thing could smell like that and with that realization, the beeping increased tenfold.

            My eyes shot open and sat up with a jolt. Quickly I looked around. I was lying in a small room that looked like something from a hospital or a doctor’s office but it didn’t have the same sterile feeling. But if I wasn’t there than where was I?

            Looking down at my hand, I saw a small needle protruding from the back of it. Some type of clear liquid dripped down the cord that connected the needle to a bag hanging by beeping machine which turned out to be a heart monitor. I had only seen this type of thing when I was taken to the hospital once I was given over to the adoption agency the night of my pack’s murder. While this room might not be in the hospital, it had all the looks of one and the unsettling feeling washed over me.

            I pulled the needle from my hand, cursing under my breath at the little sting it caused and rubbed my hand. The wound healed shortly after. Next, I went for the patches on my chest which monitored my heart beat. Luckily, whoever brought me hadn’t changed me or anything. I still had on my clothes from yesterday. Was it yesterday? I had no clue. With a quick snap, I was free of the contraption but it sent the machine into a panic. A loud alarm started going off and hurt my sensitive hearing.