15) Across the Lake

While Ron was exposing all about Quidditch, three boys entered our compartment.

I recognized one of them. Draco Malfoy.

He put on an act, "Is it true? They're saying all down the train that Harry Potter's in this compartment. So, is it?"

"Yes," Harry said. I stared at the two boys who had come with Draco. They were both thick and reminded me of bodyguards you see in the movies, but a lot less nice looking.

"Oh, this is Crabbe and this is Goyle," Draco said to me. He looked a little bored with them, like they were just a part of the act too.

Then he turned to look at Harry again, "My names Malfoy, Draco Malfoy."

Ron coughed, trying to hide a snigger, so Draco looked at him, "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me the Weasleys all have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford."

He turned to Harry, "You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

I saw a glint of sadness in his eyes before it disappeared. He stuck his hand out, knowing Harry wouldn't shake it.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks," Harry said.

Pink tinged Draco's cheeks, "I'd be careful if I were you, Potter. Unless you're a bit politer you'll go the same way as your parents. They didn't know what was good for them, either. You hang around with riffraff like the Weasleys and that Hagrid, and it'll rub off on you. "

"Say that again," Ron stood, his face as red as his hair.

"Oh, you're going to fight me, are you?" Draco sneered. I was going to tell Ron not to, but Harry spoke up first.

"Unless you get out now," He said.

"But we don't feel like leaving do we, boys? We've eaten all our food and you still seem to have some."

Goyle reached for a licorice wand, but let out a yell when Scabbers latched onto his finger.

Crabbe backed away while Draco was forcing himself not to laugh. Goyle swing the rat around, trying to get the yellow thing off.

Scabbers finally hit the window and the three boys left.

Hermione came in a second later, "What has been going on?" She looked at the rat and sweets all over the floor.

"I think he's been knocked out," Ron said, holding up Scabbers. "No — I don't believe it — he's gone back to sleep."

I laughed.

I stopped laughing when Ron explained that Draco's family were all death eaters, people who supported Voldywart in the time of his reign.

"Can we help you with something?" Ron asked Hermione.

"You better put your robes on, like Percy, I've just been up to ask the conductor, and he says we're nearly there. You haven't been fighting, have you? You'll be in trouble before we even get there!"

"Scabbers has been fighting, not us," Ron scowled, "Would you mind leaving while we change?"

"All right — I only came in here because people outside are behaving childishly, raving up and down the corridors," Hermione explained. "And you've got dirt on your nose, by the way, did you know?"

Ron glared and I looked out the window as she left. It was dark now, and mountains were racing by.

Ron and Harry pulled on their robes, though you could see Ron's sneakers beneath his.

A voice echoed through the train, "We will be reaching Hogwarts in 5 minutes time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

Harry and Ron were both a bit pale. Personally, I don't care what house I'm in. Either way, I've already got friends.

We stuffed our pockets with the last of the sweets then stepped into the crowd of students waiting to get off of the train.

We stepped off of the train and onto a small, dark platform. Lantern bobbed above peoples heads and a voice I recognized shouted, "Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there, Harry?"

Hagrid's smiling face looked down at my friend, "C'mon, follow me — any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

We followed Hagrid down a steep, narrow path. It was very dark, and the only sound anyone made was Neville sniffling over his still missing toad.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

There was a loud "Oooooooh!" As everyone saw the castle.

It's bright lights stood out against the dark sky, illuminating the tall medieval castle. Large stone bricks made up the walls, and beautiful stained glass rested in several of the windows, depicting pictures of magical nights.

The path opened suddenly into a beautiful lake stretching towards the castle.

I considered the lake to be even more beautiful. It's black expanse reflected the lights of the castle, leaving little yellow dots to swim across the water. Ripples would appear and wave the castle, and the area smelled amazing.

"No more'n four to a boat!"

Harry and Ron were both surprised when I got into a boat with Draco. So were his friends, but he smiled at me.

I waved at my friends while Draco fake scowled, then we started talking. He told me that I'd get to go to this camp for demigods in the summer.

I couldn't wait. That means I won't have to see Smelly Gabe at all. Like, ever. Which means no more bruises, which is awesome.

Draco also said he'd introduce me to a Slytherin boy named Luke. Luke had travelled across America with Draco.

We ducked beneath some vines and stared up at the massive castle. Draco started whispering to me about the architecture of the place and how amazing it was.

The boat hit land and we all stepped onto the rocks. Hagrid even found Neville's toad, now identified as Trevor, in one of the boats.

We walked up to the doors and Hagrid made a gigantic fist and knocked three times.

I got some bad news yesterday. I guess I'll just start with the good stuff, though. We made bouncy balls in science today. C and A both gave me theirs. I exploded mine on accident, so now I have two small ones. My sister is now playing basketball. We may win state, and that would be awesome. Last time we won state it was Sam's best friend. She is awesome. If any of you read the text at the bottom in the last chapter, I am sorry. I had a bad feeling. I didn't know what to do about it. The bad news is that the bad feeling was right. Firstly, my mom had a stroke. She is not an old person. She is in her 40s. A lifetime of drugs will do that, I guess. I haven't heard anything else. No one tells us anything. Secondly, my grandpa is getting open heart surgery. He has a blockage in his heart. I'm terrified for both of them. I don't know what to do. Thirdly, I may not post regularly. I'm scared right now, and if I don't feel up to posting, I will not post. I'm sorry if that ends up being the case.

I hope you all are in good health, and have a good year. Next post should (hopefully) be on Thursday.