19) Potions

I was talking with Susan about how pigs could fly if you threw them hard enough, when Harry walked up to me, "Percy, Hagrids invited us to tee with him around 3. Would you like to go?"

"Sure thing," I smiled and Harry walked off, heading back to his table. I continued my conversation with Susan, smiling happily.

Eventually, it was time for Potions.

Potions classroom wasn't in a very fun place. It was in the dungeons, and it was cold. Pickled everything sat in jars on shelves, and the room smelt funny.

I sat by my Gryffindor friends in this class, Draco and I having realized we both knew sign language. Draco, being the nerd he is, just needed to know it. My mom was deaf, so that was the only way I could talk to her.

We signed stuff to each other across classes, which was pretty fun.

Snape, the potions Professor, took roll and paused on Harry's name, "Ah, yes. Harry Potter. Our new — celebrity."

Draco started to fake snicker and signed stuff to me across class.

I didn't really pay attention to what Snape said, and just focused on Draco. Professor is a son of Nemesis. He takes us all to camp during the summer. He's a double agent. Works for us by working for Voldemort. Dumbledore has him pretending to be super mean and stuff so that he can go back to the dark side if needed.

No, I think he's just actually mean.

"Potter!" Snape said, surprising us. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand shot into the air, and Harry said, "I don't know, Sir."

Snape's lips curled, "Tut, tut — fame clearly isn't everything. Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a beozar?"

Hermione held her hand up high, but Harry still looked confused, "I don't know, Sir."

"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?" (Harry had read the books with me, but he didn't seem to remember the answer was the stomach of a goat.) "What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Hermione raised her hand as high as it could go and Harry said, "I don't know. I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

A few people laughed, but I could see the annoyance clear on Snape's face, "Sit down (poor Hermione, she knew the answers). For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is know as the Draught of Living Death. A beozar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?"

I'd already began writing it in Greek with all of the demigod copying me, but there was still a sudden rummaging for quills and paper.

Snape said over the sound, "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter. Five points will be rewarded each to Draco Malloy, Percy Jackson, Olive Moon, Terry Boot, Neville Longbottom, and Seamus Finnigan for writing notes without my having to tell you."

Oh yeah, he favors us.

While everyone else was finishing up their notes, Snape said, "Camp kids, tell my why potions class is important?"

Draco went first, "Potions could be used to defend yourself from an enemy."

Then Olive, "They could also help attack an enemy."