16) In The Castle

The door immediately swung open. A tall and very strict looking witch in emerald robes stared down at us. She was definitely not someone to cross.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door open wide. The entrance hall was so big you could have fit two of my houses in it. Torches flickered against the stone walls, the ceiling was to high up for me to see, and marble stairs led up to the upper floors.

We followed Professor McGonagall through the hall and passed by a door where hundreds of voices could be heard. Instead of going in there with the rest of the students, we were shown to a small, empty chamber.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall said. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will share points with your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room.

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At he end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours.

"The sorting ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville, who's robes were fastened wrong. She also stared at the dirt on Ron's nose.

"I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly."

She left and Harry swallowed from beside me.

But I was completely calm. The magic off of Hogwarts was morphing into the shape of a wizard hat. I made eye contact with Draco and knew that he could see it too.

Everyone else, however, looked terrified. Hermione was the only one talking, and she was whispering on what spell she thought she'd need. All because Ron said it was some kind of test.

Several people screamed from behind me and I whirled around. I smiled when I saw ghosts streaming through the back wall.

After talking about someone named Peeves, a ghost wearing ruffles and tighter noticed us, "I say, what are you all doing here?"

No one answered, but I smiled, cause that's really cool.

"New students!" Said the Fat Friar, smiling at all of us, "About to be sorted, I suppose?"

A few of us nodded.

"Hope to see you in Hufflepuff," the Fat Friar smiled, "My old house, you know."

"Move along now," said a sharp voice. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start."

Professor McGonagall was back. The ghosts floated away.

"Now, form a line," she told us, "and follow me."

Harry was behind a boy with sandy hair, with Ron behind him. I was behind Ron, and Hermione was behind me. Then Neville, and I have no idea where Draco went.

We walked into the Great Hall, and it was beautiful. Thousands of candles were floating above four long tables. Glittering gold plates and goblets sat on top of the wood. At the end of the Hall was another long table where all of the teachers sat. We followed the Professor and stood in front of the teachers, waiting to be sorted where the rest of the students could still see us. The open sky was above us, shining through glass.

I looked up at the sky and Hermione whispered to me, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History."

That was a ceiling. It looked like the sky. Magic is cool.

Professor McGonagall places a stool in front of us, and then a raggedy looking hat on top of that.

Everyone stared silently at it for a moment before it began to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

"A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The Great Hall burst into applause, and I couldn't help but smile.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," McGonagall said, holding a long scroll, "Abbot, Hannah!"

My grandpa's surgery went well. He's back to complaining about not having anymore Gatorade, so he's back to normal! If he'd doing well enough, he'll be back to town on Monday. I also saw my sister, Sam, and her boyfriend today. He seems chill. Offered to play a scary game with me, which is awesome. My other sister, Emblem, is off playing basketball with her boyfriend. Hopefully my dad will say yes that we can leave school early to go and see her play. I would love that. Also, I've been thinking of writing an original story. I don't know what it would be about yet, and I don't think it would be very good, but I'd love to try anyway. In the next chapter I'll probably list some ideas, but this is getting too long, so I've got to end this.