fifty - seven

there's a knock on the door before it opens and kale popped his head inside. "hey uh, mom's calling us for dinner."

north puts down her pencil, "all of us? together?"

"weird, right?"

they made their way to the dining room where the table was set and homemade food was served. the three siblings were so baffled by this, not used to not eating take out food and eating it individually.

"well, are you all just going to stand there?" their mother barked, irritated.

they choose wisely not to answer and just sat themselves around the table.

soon, their father rolled in and joined them.

"the meatloaf is a little dry," he commented bitterly.

"well if you want to cook something better next time, why don't you walk in the kitchen and do?" their mother pauses, "oh yes, i forgot, you can't walk."

"bitch!" he shouted as he banged his fists on the table, causing all the silverware to go fly and clatter.

her mother continued to rant, "you're not a man anymore,"

"i'm warning you, woman!"

"what? you'll hit me? you can't even reach up to slap me."

her father pushed his wheelchair and raised his hand to strike her mother but leaned too forward and fell with his face on the floor.

her mother cackled, "see! you're pathetic!"

his entire face was completely red with rage and embarrassment as he began screaming profanities.

north, kale and rita slipped out of the room andeach deposited back into their rooms without a word, with an empty stomach and heavy hearts.