Chapter 3: Apartment 639

NB: slight depiction of self harm towards the end of the chapter.

THE CITY

THE CITY

-

THE FEELING OF BEING BRANDED lingered like a bad smell, I could feel it burrowing deeper into skin as the car came to a halt.

I blinked and the scene before me, the scene of Farah running to the passenger's side with a panicked expression morphed, soon I was on top of a building with the night air pricking my skin. I could hear the sound of water rushing, there was tree with branches like boney fingers and a flickering slanted neon light on the building, standing right in front of the building was a girl arguing with a man.

A man with brunet hair that kissed his shoulders and a girl with skin the colour of cocoa, I clenched my hand around the handle of an axe and sucked in a heavy breath. The clouds above me crackled, as the air became moist, tonight there was going to be rain – crimson rain.

I was pulled out of the scene. Farah was buckling in my seatbelt from the driver's seat, I could see the beads of sweat lining her forehead.

“He found her. ”She won't believe you. “Valentine found her, I-I saw him, I saw where he is. He's watching them right now, her and Josh. ”You're too late. A cold chill crept up on me. “Far, please, I know you don't believe me and I don't care, Josh is in danger. If you take me home, I'll leave, I won't let Valentine hurt them. ”

She clenched her hands around the steering wheel. “Five minutes. ”

“What?”I frowned, I was taken back.

Her hands were shaking, she glanced at my exposed arm, I looked down to find the mark visible with dried blood lining the ridges. “Montgomery's place is on the way so it's fine but if nothing happens in the five minutes we are there, you drop this Valentine thing. Indefinitely. ”

“Wait, this mark, can you see it?”

“Leora, five minutes, do we have a deal?”

I clenched my jaw. “Yes. ”

She started the car and soon we were on the move again. “Are you okay? You were out of it for a a few seconds, I thought it was another seizure. ”

I traced the edges of the mark and winced, I could feel her watching me from the corner of my eye. “Something appeared in the car, a woman and she touched me, she left this mark on me and then I... I was Valentine, watching them, through his eyes. ”Tension filled the air.