Chapter 17: A Heart To Heart

THE INFIRMARY

THE INFIRMARY

-

MY EARS WERE STILL RINGING from the sound of the crowds cheers hours later.

I stood next to a sleeping Farah in a private room, she had clean wounds and fresh bandages.

Officer West was my tour guide when I left the arena with a trail of ashes behind me. She led me to a communal use bathroom where I could bathe Farah.

I held her up in the bathtub and cleaned her body, her wounds were filthy, when the cold water touched her skin she became feverish. She thrashed and splashed around in the water, she was weak enough that I could hold her down despite her unconscious efforts to get away.

I washed her hair and dressed her wounds to fight off the coming infraction, Aunt Edna's voice was in the distance instructing me.

When I was done, I found one of the extra robes in the infirmary.

Green. Sage green. The colour of the Beaumont family, I didn't care how they'd feel about me giving it to her.

I hovered over her bed in the infirmary, the stares of the people made it hard for me to leave her.

They were filled with malice.

I was pacing back and forth when Josh appeared, he grabbed me by my shoulders to make me stop. "Hey, come here, "he whispered as he pulled me into a hug. "Gilmore is gonna be okay. "

Exhausted, I nodded.

Silence stretched between us while we hugged, I heard in suck in a deep breath before he broke the silence.

"Is this a bad time to talk?"He asked, pulling away from the hug. "I-I, I don't know when we'll have a chance but I think it's better if we talk. "He scratched the back of his head.

On cue I tensed up. "No, it's perfect. You're right, we do need to talk."

We sat down on the bed next to Farah's bed, where I could keep watch over her.

"You were... In the arena... You were incredible. Unbelievable. I almost couldn't wrap my head around that it was you, "he laid on the praises thick

I wondered what I looked like in his eyes. I'd gone from a sickly mentally ill classmate with bad rumours surrounding her to a girl who burnt down a guillotine. He was taking the change better than I was, I'd barely allowed myself time to think about it.