c h a p t e r, o n e.

Aaron Wells.

Aaron damn Wells.

Why couldn't it be anyone else? Why couldn't it have been Sebastian Shaw or something, okay I don't know anyone with that name but still.

April just had to date him, she just had to do it. To be fair, I had never told her the guys name a year ago. I had never even described him to her, I had just expected her to believe me when I kept going on and on about how 'gorgeous' he was.

Now, a year later she's telling me that she's dating him. The same man who made me orgasm five times in one night? How am I not to be the slightest bit envious that that man was now her boyfriend. She'd have far more than one night with him.

I had met Aaron three years ago, we didn't just hook up one night and that was it. I had known him for two years before I got the chance to ride him. Gosh, I need to be less vulgar. He isn't free meat now.

I sigh as I place my elbow on the countertop listening to my best friend go on and on about how he asked her out. A smile is spread across my face as my heart cracks with her every word.

Besides that one magical night I've had a crush on Aaron damn Wells since the very first day I met him. His vanilla yogurt coloured skin, plumpest pink lips, green jungle fever eyes and dark brown mop of madness hair.

I shut my eyes painfully as his image races through my mind, my hand tangled in his hair, his hands on my ass, thrusting me into him. I jump up, breathing as though I had just run a marathon.

April stops her story, "My god, Zoey, are you okay?" Her eyes are a little wider than usual and she's looking at me as though I've just lost half my face.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I'm just going to get some air."

Her eyes squint as she ponders my words, "All the windows are open." She mutters but I'm halfway out the door by then.

I shut the back door and walk off into her mom's garden. My hands rake through my dark almond curls. This cannot be happening, I must be dreaming. I must be dreaming.

Why hadn't I told her who he is?

I look through the window to see her beginning to prepare dinner. I sit on the little bench and put my head in my hands.

I met him in the grocery store, he was watching me — I could tell. He'd pop up in the aisle a bit after I had but never grab anything, in fact he had no basket in hand.

When I got to the final aisle he came up to me and asked me some stupid question about which pasta sauce was the best. I was picking out my favourites so I suggested those, I asked him if he could cook and he said he could.

Suppose he took that as a doorway to invite me over for lunch and being the giggly girl I was, I agreed. From that day forward we would build a friendship, I could only be his friend even though the more I got to know him the more I wanted much more than that.

But he had a girlfriend.

They broke up a year and eight months later, took him four months to 'get over her.' Once he had and had indirectly, I suppose, assured me I wouldn't be a rebound, that night happened.

Only, he left the very next day. I never saw or heard from him ever again.

I had never told April the whole story, she didn't even know the name of the guy I slept with that night. I had been so incredibly vague about it because I was embarrassed to say that the Aaron I had been friends with. That she had been jealous of is the same guy who hit it then quit it.