Josephine's Gift

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!! Happy birthday dear Mona... Happy birthday to you..." a teary old Josephine singing that classic birthday song, carrying a pink cake with 18 melting candles. Mona Elara Mayfield turns eighteen years old today.

To their kind, it is the most important birthday and a momentous age when a wolf finally turns into a young adult and will be responsible to all of their actions. It also means that they can participate and contribute their skills and opinions for the benefit of the pack. Training will become more intense and level of discipline will be tested.

"Thank you Granny..." she said as the cake was placed in front of her. Her granny kissed the top of her head and give her a warm hug.
"Now, make a wish... " she said cheerfully.
"I don't have any..." Mona said flatly.
"Of course you have a wish! Come on, dear..." she coaxed.
"Alright..." she closed her eyes and silently uttered her wish. She blow the candles and there was a pop from a party popper. It was Troy Brooks.
"Happy birthday, Mona" he greeted simply as he gave his small gift to her, wrapped in brown paper with a cute little red ribbon, he look sideways as Mona reaches for it.
"Thanks Troy." she smiled to him.

Troy Brooks was one of the rogues who attacked the camp some 10 years ago and kidnapped her. She also learned that it was him who saved her in the Moon River and brought her to Karen Sage, the healer. Since then, he never wanted to leave her side and she don't know why. Granny Josephine told her that it has something to do with imprints. Another kind of bond known to their kind. According to Granny Jo, Troy was born a Guardian. A guardian is a wolf whose only purpose of living is to serve and protect their alpha for all of their lifetime. Wolves are known for loyalty and affinity to their pack, but having someone imprinted to you is another level of loyalty and is a very rare circumstance especially she is not an Alpha nor have a single drop of an Alpha's blood in her veins.

Everyone was shocked when Mona came back with a rogue in tow, ten years ago. But her Granny Jo was the first to welcome her in a bear hug when she returned. Right then and there, she knew she's loved. And one is better than none, and that matters a lot.

Everyone despised Troy and they wanted to execute him instantly eventhough she tried her best to explain how he turned to be her hero. Which was ,of course, useless because nobody takes her seriously. Later on, Troy was given a chance to stay in their pack. Mona did not know what conspired behind the Alpha's closed door during their assembly that made the Alpha accept Troy in the pack. A lot of pack members questioned the Alpha's decision but still, the Alpha's word is the law. And no one dares to go against it. Sometime after, she learned that Granny Jo, takes Troy as her responsibility, given that he saved Mona, she will have to save him too and she's willing to take him in as her son. From then on, Troy Brooks had become Josephine's adopted son. Finally, he no longer is a rogue. He has found a family.

Her father was the same. Nothing changed. He's even colder and distant to her. At least, he's not beating her anymore. Still, she's hoping that one day the tables will turn, that one day her father will acknowledge her and be proud of her. But it seems to be an impossible dream.

At 12, during the Shifting Ceremony, when everyone were anticipating that her wolf will show up on her first shifting, turned to be her worst nightmare. Her wolf just lay still and slept some more. She was frustrated she did not left her room for a week. Because of that disgrace, her father seemed to forget that he has a daughter. At the top of that, her father's friends are even questioning him if she was really his daughter or if she is one of them. Mona became the object of ridicule among her peers once and for all. Only Josephine comforted her during that frustrating phase. She said that her wolf will eventually emerge and everyone will eat their words if it happens. She keeps on telling her that it will be a magnificient wolf, that waking her wolf takes time also, that she needs more training and the sort, and some other kids experienced it too. Then she will babble her old bedtime stories about her being the moon goddess' blessed one. And somehow, it raised her hopes up.