One Rhythm

The following days was filled with their tiring appearances on public. Tristan and Mona went to places together, meeting important people, establishing themselves as a couple, officially accepting one another as soon to be husband and wife. If they were ordinary people who happened to be in love with each other or for a more fitting description, that they are together through the mate bond, they could have been enjoying these moments and appearances together. Since, they are neither from the options given nor friends for starters, they seemed to be walking on eggshells. Uncomfortable, unfamiliar, unreal. These are Mona's feelings right now. After meeting the Alpha's council, she really had enough. The suffocating attention given to them, their fake affection to each other just to please these people, her confused heartbeats in his nearness. Mona sighed.

Tristan is feeling odd as well. His heart is beating crazily, he is trying his hardest to be calm and firm. They just finished meeting his council and he thought he looks dumb and pretentious. Yes, Mona is a very fitting pair for him, the council likes her wit too. But there is no denying that love is absent and pretending has become the name of the game. He can feel it too, Mona is uncomfortable with him. Thanks goodness, the meeting is over. They are now in the car, going back to the Manor. He's driving, she is looking out in the window, silence has never been this loud before. Glancing at her, he can't help but admire her simplicity.

She suddenly looked at him and Tristan thought he swallowed his tongue the moment their eyes made contact. He returned his gaze in the road.

"I know a place just beyond that woods. It's pretty. Would you like to see it, breath some fresh air like that?" Tristan blurted out of the blue. He scold himself for it.

"Is it really nice?" Mona replied, her voice tired.

"Why don't you see for yourself so you could be the better judge. " he smiled loosing his tensed nerves.

"Okay." was her only reply. Tristan parked the car beside the road and they hop out of it. They walked down the path to the woods, feeling the breeze on their skin.

This is what Mona needs. A little walk on the woods. It seems forever since she last took a walk in the woods and it feels great. Her tension is starting to disappear. Her eyes now is combing through the trees and vegetation, she missed this. She stopped in her tracks and spread her arms, closed her eyes and inhaled the scent of the woods.

Tristan smiled looking at her, appreciating the view in front of him. Mona is wearing a powder blue sun dress just below her knees, she topped her dress with a blazer for a more conventional look, her straight hair flowing freely in her back, the look in her eyes and the very simple way she smiles. His heart flutters in a beautiful way. He remembered the eight-year old Mona during the camp. Pretending to have a stomach ache after her team mates bullied her, running to the woods and stopping by the majestic falls. He was there when she was silently sketching in her sketchpad, happy and contented on where she was, away from the boys and girls who does nothing but make fun of her. Right then, his young self had known that he would like to protect her no matter what happened.

"Tristan? Are you okay?" Mona wake him in his thoughts. He had not noticed, he'd been staring at her for a while.

"This way..." he leads the way. "I used to go here when I want to be alone. When I need some me-time."

"Wait. This means this is your personal place, are you sure you want to show it to me?" Mona asked, hesitating to step some more.

"Yeah. Positive." he smiled at her. "You will appreciate it more than I do. Come." he held his hand to her, Mona reached for it. The moment her hand touched his, Tristan knew he needs to uphold the promise he made himself ten years ago, behind the tree while looking at then eight-year old Mona who was happily sketching on her pad, that he, Tristan Jones, will protect her with all his life. And evident as well was a little unknown emotion that has started to bloom in the corner of his heart.