41 |

🖤 VOTE  🖤 VOTE 🖤 VOTE 🖤 VOTE 🖤

My blood boiled, anger blocking out the surfacing feelings of dread. I wasn't able to register the sadness that was surely echoing through my brain, and wracking my body.

"Get out."

The words that came from my mouth dripped with venom. I knew it was misdirected but I couldn't stop the harsh words from falling out. I had stepped closer into the room, but I stood firm in the doorway. I couldn't make my legs move closer to Isaac's body. Destiny walked over to me and grabbed my shoulders, her piercing eyes bore into mine. I suddenly found the strength to move, pushing her off.

"You could have stopped it, done something!" My voice began to break. Salty tears began to run down my face. I frantically wiped at my cheeks. I wanted to shut my body down and let myself sit in bed for a week.

I could see it now; see myself curled up on the bathmat in the bathroom. Just like when I was sick as a kid. I wouldn't change my clothes. People would bring food that would spoil in the fridge because I couldn't bring myself to eat. Klayton would pretend to be tough even though I know it is killing him. He would drown himself in work and come home late at night just to not sleep.

Until one day I get up.

And for a while, we fall into a menial routine —because doing something is better than doing nothing. Maybe I would finally start going back to school or I would drop out altogether and get a job. Klayton would insist I don't need one —that he can provide for us. We would quarrel about it, but I would end up winning. I would work at a coffee shop, maybe the library or a gas station.

A gas station.

Just like the one where Issac and I first met.

The thought made me snap back to reality. No time had truly passed, and Destiny still stood in front of me. However, now her arms laid limp at her sides.

"You have to use this Adira, this anger, this power that you feel,"

I knew what she meant. This is the only way I would kill Artemis, letting my anger fuel me. Except, I had to be smart.

Artemis would expect retaliation. She knew there was no way I could let this go. However, she is betting that it will be manic; that I will be unable to control my anger and will make a mistake.

"Where is she?" I ask while glancing at Issac, making my heart skip a beat. I swear I could feel my chest constrict, the tightness threatening to make me collapse. I stood my ground, welcoming the pain and pushing it to the back of my mind.

I can use it later.

"I'm not sure... probably waiting for you to come to find her," Destiny said. She could see where my eyes gazed and she sighed. However, her perfect appearance; nails freshly painted black and unsmudged makeup proved that death was not new to her.

"No, not Atrmetis. His mate," I say as my eyes dance back to hers. Destiny looked taken aback at my sudden change, but she gave me the answer I needed.

"She's not from Myserdale, she is from a town about two hours from here —where Klayton was for pack business earlier. I am sure he would take you there if you wanted," she offers.

"Thank you," I say, as I finally feel my feet move towards the edge of the bed. I looked down at my friend. I couldn't believe that in one second he was breathing and now he was not; I could barely fathom how it was possible. I started questioning my own beliefs, wondering where Issac was now.