Prologue

༺༻1814༺༻

"Mademoiselle Nicolette, you shouldn't be playing with Monsieur's toys. You know how your mama doesn't like it..."

The nursemaid told the six-year-old girl, who was playing with her brothers' tin soldiers. The maid grabbed the child and placed her on her lap, as she handed the toddler one of the many dolls she owned but didn't even look at. The infant frowned and shook her head, rejecting the doll. The doors of the nursery opened, Nicolas entered. He was just 8-year-old but he was tall and more mature for the boys of his age. The youngster made eye contact with the 8-year-old boy, who's eyes shone with mischief. Before the nursemaid could keep the child still, she jumped off the lap and stumbled on her small feet toward the boy.

Once beside him, he kneeled down and showed her a letter. The young girl tilted her head to the left and looked carefully at the piece of paper, not comprehending what it was. "This is a letter from papa." A grin formed on the girl's tiny face, and her eyes grew in the mention of 'papa'. She had not had the chance to meet him, as when she was born he had gone off to war.

"Monsieur Nicolas, shouldn't this be in your mother's hands?" The nursemaid questioned, from her seat in the middle of the nursery, her ginger curls all up in a bun. She had been taking care of them ever since we had been born. "Oui, but please Madame Vera. Don't tell her. Sooner or later she will have it. I promise." Nicolas replied, his voice was clear and calm, knowing that Vera always had their back, the boy then turned to look at his sister. His dark blue eyes shining with the same brightness that his mother had. "Papa says that the war in Spain is almost over and that he will be back by the end of May."

The little one started jumping on her tiny feet and he grabbed her in his arms, spinning her around in glee "We will finally meet papa, 'Colette" As he said her very often nickname, she smiled even wider, Nicolette loved her brother.

"Monsieur, set her down." Vera's stern voice ordered and he stopped instantly, setting the giggling tot on her feet and then placing his waistcoat straight "Sorry, Madame Vera."

Then there was a loud clear yell, it was their mother from the top floor. It was clear that the poor woman was finding the missing letter that she had been waiting for. "Nicolette Francine Lamarque! Nicolas François Lamarque! Où est la lettre?!" The doors of the nursery opened, and the young women stepped in. Marie Genevieve Arnault, daughter of a Baron and a Baroness, was a cheerful lady. Her long black curly all down like a waterfall, her dark blue eyes that usually shone with happiness now dim with stress. The women had Nicolas ' hair and eyes, while her face and nose shape, lips, cheeks, lashes and freckles were shared with the young girl. Marie was beautiful even after having two kids her youngness was still visible. As her eyes met the letter in Nicolas' hand she relaxed, her arms crossed against her corset chest and she shook her head, now smiling. "Que vais-je faire avec vous deux? What does the letter say, Nicolas?"

"Mama! Papa is coming home!" Nicolette interrupted as she ran over to her mother and pulled on her silk skirt. One of Marie's personal maids shook her head in disbelief as the little girl still didn't learn her manners. Nevertheless, Marie loved her daughter and as she heard the news, she kneeled down and picked the little girl up. Her eyes filling with tears of happiness, the little played with the pearl necklace as Nicolas handed her the letter. "He's coming home!!" She sang in excitement.

May came, and soon it was over, however, there was no news of the General. Sadness and stress filled the house and Marie would stop looking out the window, wishing that the gates would open and her beloved husband would step in. But then, it happened. It was April 27 of 1814...

Marie was losing hope and had decided to start teaching her rebellious daughter how to drink and eat like a lady, and to all the people's surprise, Nicolette seemed to learn it at the instant. As the mother taught the little infant, the doors of the parlor opened and a pale maid entered. She made eye contact with Marie and nodded. The tot looked up at her mother who had now stood up, the maid stood aside and vowed, behind her a man stepped in.