Chapter 9: Angel of Music

Author's Note:

Hello, welcome back! 

This chapter is a continuation of the past one which I just separated into two parts. In this one, we have some new characters coming in and some turns. But unlike any other chapter... this one is short. 

Also, please tell me if you believe I should make a separate chapter of what is happening here but from Enjolras' point of view. 

By the way, I don't own the video.

Please remember to vote, comment, and add it to your reading list!!

~Vive La France~

༺༻ 1825: Winter.༺༻

Nicolette swallowed a lump in her throat as she sat down as he did the same. His icy azure eyes staring directly at hers. "You are frightening me Enjolras..."

The boy rubbed his palm with his thumb in a nervous action and right as he was about to talk, someone knocked on the wood door. "Enjolras! Open the door!"

Nicolette bolted up as she heard the familiar voice, Nicolas. Enjolras turned to Nicolette and they both gazed at each other in concern, he pointed at the guest room and she ran there closing the door after her. Why was her brother there?

She knew very well that this wouldn't end properly. She had to find a way to escape. How ironic, she was always running away. Maybe that was her hobby, running away from the truth so she wouldn't have to face it. Her orbs came upon the open bedroom window, it was small but she could fit through it. She was just on the first floor and right under it had been parked a carriage that carried straw. She grabbed a jacket with a hood, that the boy had bought for her, and without thinking about it two times, she jumped. The fall took her breath away but she landed safely on the soft material and then she quickly rushed down the street, placing the hood on and covering herself. 

Cold, bitter dark streets. She had a pocket watch that Enjolras had left on the desk and she checked it. She couldn't believe her eyes, it was almost time for the meeting. Part of her was happy because that meant she could hide there and the other part was agitated because Aceline would be among the group; which meant questions she had to answer. As she got closer to the café she felt a blow on her thorax, and she started remembering Enjolras' look. What could have possibly happened? Why was he so troubled? And how did Nicolas know he lived there- Of course, best friends.

A shadow had appeared from the darkness, a sly white grin shimmering in the black. She was about to step out of the man's way but he caught hold of her skinny arm. She gasped at how cold his hand was and attempted to pull away from the glacial grip. She noticed who the person was but to her luck, he didn't, perhaps because of the hood that covered her face.

"Why hello, Mademoiselle. What are you doing at such hours of the night all alone?" It was a husky, purring voice, almost charming; yet loaded with lewdness and fraud. However, she relaxed and didn't fear the kid who was taking hold of her arm tightly. She acted concerned because she didn't want to be discovered, knowing very well what Montparnasse was able to do. "Ooh, there's nothing like winter in the city, someone in a rush next to someone lookin' pretty. Excuse me, Mademoiselle, I know it's not funny but your perfume smells like your daddy's got money. Why you slummin' in the city in your fancy heels? You searchin' for an urchin who can give you ideals?"

Nicolette didn't reply, she couldn't look up. The boy was only 12 but he had the strength of a grown man. She tried to push away the grip and the thin boy laughed, those grey eyes sparkling with casual trickery. She winced and tried to pull away, that grip reminded her of her mother and it made her feel sick. His cold touch tightened and the girl pouted "I see you truly are in a hustle Mademoiselle; may I know where? Maybe I could take you?"