Roomies

Maddie sat at her desk organizing the last of her things. Surprisingly everything she had packed for nicely within the cramped dorm.

She spun around on her chair to see Katy finishing up decorating her side.

"Um Katy I was wondering if you wanted to grab coffee. Get to know each other better?" Maddie asked.

"I'd love that. First friend in the big apple.... do you guys even call it that?" Katy asked. Maddie laughed.

"Come on I know the best spot" Maddie said ushering the girl out and closing the door behind her.

The two sat at a coffee spot not far from the campus.

"So tell me about yourself" Maddie said while sipping on the latte.

"I'm from Arizona. Never been to the city before but my mom has told me so much about it. She lived here for a while before I was born" Katy explained.

"And you?" Katy asked.

"Oh born and raised. I live on the upper east side with my dad"

"I live with my mom and step-dad along with my two younger brothers. Not to sure who my biological dad is but I haven't cared enough to know"

Maddie sipped her latte taking in the information Katy was dishing out just as a gossip girl notification interrupted the conversation the two where having.

"Gossip Girl right? Someone at the dorms told me to download it. Do follow it too?" Katy innocently asked.

"More like Gossip Girl follows me. I've been posted about many times since freshman year of high school" Maddie revealed. Katy seemed innocent and Maddie was afraid Gossip Girl was going to tarnish their relationship real fast. "But I've been given a clean slate and am hoping to keep the petty high school drama off of gossip girl"

"Wow, when I was told about gossip girl I was informed she reported only on the most noteworthy and famous teens in the city. I'm glad we are doing this. It's nice knowing I have a friend in this big overwhelming city" Katy expressed.

Maddie smiled. Although her reasons for taking her out and sharing a room with her weren't very nice to begin with Maddie was slowly warming up to her.

"You know I don't mean to seem like a fan or a stalker but are you friends with Serena Van Der Woodsen? My friends and I back home have been following her all summer. I mean who isn't she's been on the cover every time"

"S? Yeah she's actually step siblings with my boyfriend"

"Wow you just have the life. Your boyfriend was cute too... not that I was looking in that way or ah thinking of making a move. I totally respect-" Katy nervously babbled on.

"Hey, it's okay. I got the point. You'll probably see a lot of him on gossip girl was well. You know remind me to introduce you to my friend Nate. He's also attending Columbia and I think you two would hit it off" Maddie said watching Katy practically squeal in her seat.

"Oh yeah that sounds great thanks"

Maddie's phone rang once more.

"Hello? I can meet you in 20" Maddie said before clicking the phone closed. "I'm sorry chuck called. See you later?"

"Yeah thanks again for taking me out" Katy said. Maddie grabbed her bag and exited the coffee shop.

Maddie hailed a cab on the corner of the street while waiting for the person to answer.

"Baizen, tell me you have some information on my mother?" Maddie asked.

"No, but I did find something about that sweet sister of yours" Baizen said while still on the phone with Maddie as he rolled down the cab window. She hung up the phone and hopped in.

"I have to meet Chuck so let's make this quick. What have you found?"

"Her mother receives monthly payments from your father. Big payments"

"So her mother must still be in contact with my dad?"

"Yes"

"So why ship off my mother but still pay off the other woman? That's what I'm not understanding"

"I'll look into it" Carter said as the taxi pulled up in front of the palace. Maddie hopped out and headed up to the penthouse.

"Honey I'm home" Maddie called out from the front door as she kicked off her shoes and left her purse. She walked into the office to find Chuck seated in front of the computer.

"I see you need a distraction from work" Maddie said hopping onto Chuck's lap and giving him a kiss.

"While that sounds nice, I actually needed your advice on work" Chuck said lightly pushing Maddie off his lap. "I have this idea to buy the old bank and convert the inside of the vault as a speakeasy. Classy restaurant in the front, trashy club in the back" Chuck stayed showing Maddie the layout and designs that had been drafted up.

"Chuck, this is amazing. Do you have a name?"

"I was hoping you'd like it. That's what I need your help with. I need something edgy but fits the vibe"

"Vague, I think it has a nice ring, fits the scene in that part of Manhattan"

"Genius" Chuck said giving a big kiss to Maddie. "Now if you must excuse me I have a meeting with MacPherson in thirty minutes" Chuck said looking at his wrist watch.

"Good luck"

"I don't need it but thank you" chuck flashed a grin as Maddie exited the office.

Maddie headed out while Chuck got ready for his meeting. She once again waited on the street to bail a cab and head back to her dorm. 

Once inside and on her way Carter called with more information.

"An old secretary of your father's might be able to divulge information at the right price. I sent you an email of the artwork needed to be purchased at tonight's auction"

"Thank you" Maddie said before hanging up the phone.

"Actually take me to the auction house" Maddie asked the cab driver. The cab driver turned around.

Maddie was about to buy her first piece of art.