Unheard Part of the Story

When I arrived home, I noticed my grandmother sitting by our porch, her eyes were closed and she was enjoying the afternoon wind. I sneaked up behind her and hugged her tightly, she caresses my arms and turned to look at me. 

"How are you, little pumpkin?" she asked. 

"Good, but I'm not little anymore grandma, I'm already 18" I corrected her. 

She shrugged her shoulders then asked me, "Anything interesting at school today?"

I sat in front of her then I told her everything, starting from Tristan up to the death of our headmaster. Grandma seems to be in deep thought after I finish my story. I patiently wait for her reply while observing the flowers growing abstractly on the ground. When grandma spoke up, her words started out as flowery then turned into a vicious narrative of what happened before our generation.

Before our generation comes a generation before and before that generation comes another generation and all have been related to death. During Medieval times, death used to roam around since there had been widespread contamination within England and all was in chaos. But one family has survived during that time, the Peverells, they were never touched by death or any misfortune simply because death had been in love with the youngest member of the family, Genevieve. Genevieve is an 18-year-old girl whose beauty is more radiant than the stars as far as the eye can see. Her hair is blood red, her eyes are like the flowing sea and her skin is as pale as snow.

Death tried to pursue her, for years he offered her immortality and power but she simply rejected all that, she didn't want anything from death simply because her heart was already taken by someone else. Genevieve had been in love with William and William was also in love with Genevieve. They were both aware of Death's capability to ruin them if he ever finds out but they still fought for it, a couple against all the odds. They kept it for 6 years until one unfaithful night while they were dancing under the night sky, a hooded figure witnessed everything. Death finally caught the two lovers and both were surprised and scared. Overflowing with anger, death cursed the bloodline of the Peverells, every girl born child in the family will have an ability to see the lifeline of every person and if the situation calls, she cannot save any of those who will die for there will be consequences. The family soon moved out of England and came here to this humble town.

For years the women of the family suffered greatly but nothing can save them from it unless death finally took its toll and let them die before giving birth. Without no heir, the curse will break and all will be at peace.

I never heard that side of the story, I always knew that we've been cursed by death but I never know that there is a way to break the curse. I didn't notice that grandma was already standing and she was waiting for me to join her. I stood up and followed her inside the house. We went into the dining room and she started preparing lunch for me, I couldn't help but stare at her wrist and wonder how long will grandma last.

"You know when Olivia found out that she's pregnant with you, she was so scared" Grandma sat in front of me "She doesn't want to transfer the curse to you"

It must have been hard for grandma to talk about mom, she only mentions her some time and that is only during my birthday. My mom, Olivia, died when she gave birth to me so I don't really know anything about her except for the fact that she only had the curse before and some bedtime stories that Caleb and dad used to tell me when I was a kid.

"She even called Death" Grandma continued

"Did he came?"

"He did" Grandma's face becomes dark "He actually agrees but-"

"But there is a condition?"

Grandma nodded, "He wanted her to leave Arnold and go with him but of course your mom loved your dad so much, she couldn't leave him."

"I'm glad she didn't" 

Grandma smiled at me thenshe ushered me to eat and also joining me for lunch. After our lunch, I helpgrandma clean up everything then I proceeded to my safe zone, my room.