The Dance Without Music

The next day, Tristan and I decided to go for another stargazing on the beach. I prepared some sandwiches while he prepared the blanket that we will be using. When we settled in he started talking about some failed dates before and how his prom turned out to be the worst part of his high school life.

"At least you got to attend" I whispered

He sat up, eyes wide in shock, "You mean you never got a chance to attend any dance at all?"

I smiled sadly, "Yes, no one invited me to go."

Tristan offered his hand, I stared at it dumbfounded.

"Well?" He asked "Would you like to dance with me"

I was taken aback by his sudden question that the only thing that I could do is to nod and take his hand. He pulled me up and in one swift motion, his hands came to rest within my waist and my hands clumsily find its way into his shoulders.

"What? With no music?" I asked, confused

"Shhhhhh... you're ruining the moment"

I shut my mouth and waited for his lead. He stared deep into my eyes and I couldn't help but stare back. He started swaying to the invisible music and soon enough I caught on with his beat. It was a magical moment, the moon gleaming behind giving us the spotlight, the stars glittering in the black canvass, and the music only inside our heads, synchronize and made to be one. Soon our steps became bigger and I found myself more captivated by his presence, eyes glinting in the dark, holding so much passion and emotion and I wonder do my eyes look the same. The steps became lighter as if we were gliding into a frozen glass, he started twirling me, making things more complicated yet I found myself more entranced, more enthralled by everything including the hidden symphony that is already embedded in my mind.

We started slowing down, the unheard music finally slowing down and with one last twirl, I knew that our moment was ending. This time the space between us diminished, with our body in full contact I can feel the beat of my heart against his own. Before I could even fully let go of him, the sound of the song "Believer by Imagine Dragons" echoes through the silent night, totally ruining the moment. Tristan pulled back, walking a few feet away before finally answering it.

I started cleaning up our things when Tristan returned with a much darker aura on his soft features.

"Is everything alright?" I ask

He nodded, "I just need to get home immediately, do you think you can go home by yourself?"

I never expected that question but seeing his expression, I nodded. He bid his farewell before leaving me alone in the silent night. I sigh, one cannot remain happy all the time, I gather my things before walking back to my home.