11. Istifa

[•Nuri's POV•]

Idris held my hand and lead me inside the hospital, one of the finest ones I had ever seen. He opened the door of a room, my hand still in his grasp and we went in. An old man was sitting on the bed and reading. "Grandpa!" "Idris dear!" The old man was thrilled to meet the child. He kissed Idris's head and turned to me, adjusting his specs.

"Hello," I smiled and went forward to kiss his hand as I had seen Yeşim do so with elders. "Grandpa, this is Nuri. My new best friend" We smiled at each other. "You forgot this in the car" Ferit bey entered the room smiling, for a split second his chocolate eyes landed on my face... I felt my insides shake, till he looked away from me. "I am Tahir Aras," The old man told me. Ferit bey's father looked a lot like himself.

Ferit bey handed the picture to Idris and lifted a chair from the corner of the room, placing it near the bed. I thought it was for me and I smiled at him with that thought in mind, but he ended up sitting on it. I grew red out of embarrassment and anger... And the control freak enjoyed it.

I went and sat on the chair behind Idris as he narrated the story of burly about three times to his grandfather. I was silent the entire time, because yeah, I still felt guilty for ruining their family moment. Tahir bey glanced at me and turned to Idris, "How did you two meet?" As we were about to reply, "She is my chef" Ferit bey stared at me with a clear face.

"Yeah, she makes the best custard grandpa! Oh by the way, I made an omelet by myself today!" "Really? All alone?" Idris turned to me and winked, "Well Nuri was there as my assistant but... I did most of the work" He had a smug face and we chuckled. "Nuri, you don't look from around here" Tahir bey turned to me, "Umm... I am from India, Kerala actually" "God's own country, right?" I nodded with a slight smile. "Özgür went there last summer, didn't he?" Tahir bey asked his son and Ferit bey nodded.

"Why did you come to Turkey? Certainly not to work in my son's kitchen" He said with a laugh, "Of course not!" I retorted, blushing in the process. Ferit bey raised an eyebrow, "I mean... Not like that... Uh... My father runs a lodge and our chefs aren't that great, so if I can be a professional, then we can run the place better" I smiled, hoping that Ferit bey wouldn't fire me.

×××

Idris narrated his life from what happened last month to how many goals he scored today morning. He was very talkative and polite, not to mention his incredible talent for drawing.

From the way Tahir bey listened to the boy, I could tell that they were close. My head was filled with questions though, but I didn't ask anything.

I wanted to know what the old man was suffering from? Was he Idris's real grandfather? and what happened to Idris' parents? But I figured it wasn't the right time. I sat behind Idris silently listening to his conversation with his grandfather. Ferit bey was also silent, listening to the boy patiently. He glanced at me often, and I at him.

 He glanced at me often, and I at him

Yeşim's name flashed on my phone then, "Excuse me" I exited the room with my bag

Yeşim's name flashed on my phone then, "Excuse me" I exited the room with my bag. I answered her call, "Yeşim?" "Nuri? Where are you?" She asked. "I am at a hospital" "What?! What happened? Why the hell didn't you call me?!" My ears exploded because of her shrill voice. "I am fine, I am fine. We came to meet Idris' grandfather" "We?" She asked, "Yeah, me, Idris and Ferit bey." I said, "Oooooh" I could almost feel her wiggle her brows now.

"Stop howling already" I groaned annoyed, "Okay dear whatever... When you get back, tell me all about the date!" She giggled from the other side, "Uff Yeşim... I really can't deal with you" I hung up with a sigh. Sometimes, she was so irritating.

As I proceeded to head back to the room, my throat felt dry. I asked the nurse passing by where I could find a water filter. She replied that the one near the counter wasn't working so I could go to the other hall and she directed me towards it. I thanked her and walked towards the filter. There seemed to be no one around except an old woman sitting and sleeping on one of the chairs. I spotted the filter a few meters from the couch, the only sound in the hall was from a creaking table fan near the clinic. I took a glass and waited for it to get filled.

I kept the glass back as somebody placed a hand on my shoulder, scaring the life out of me. I whirled quickly to find Özgür staring at me with a cheeky smirk. What was he doing? "Özgür bey?" I asked leaning back, towards the water filter, he smirked. "Hey" He smiled and placed his hand on the filter, now I couldn't even escape from that side. I moved to my right and then found myself leaning back towards the wall.

He came closer, our faces were inches apart. "What are you doing Özgür bey? Are you drunk?" I asked sensing the familiar scent of alcohol. His smirk grew wider and I felt scared within, but I tried my best to not show it. "You better move back or I will shout" I warned, almost in tears. "If you shout or not, I won't leave without kissing you" He replied. I tried pushing his chest away but he was too strong.

Then I raised my hand to slap him but he grabbed my wrist, it was hurting bad. He moved closer, I turned my face to the side hoping for this nightmare to end. The first tear rolled down and I closed my eyes shut.

"Özgür!" Came a sharp voice and Özgür leaned back to see who it was. This was my chance, I pushed him back and sprinted outside. Wiping my tears, I realized that it was Ferit bey who saw us. I've never been this humiliated in my life before. I didn't want to look at anybody. I regretted coming to this god-forsaken building after listening to a kid.

"Taxi!" I called after a moving cab. The driver stopped a bit ahead of me. Someone grabbed my hand and I turned to find Ferit bey. "Nuri..." His voice was warm but unfamiliar. I cut him short, "Ferit bey, your brother is a jerk! From now on, I have nothing to do with you or your family. I quit!" I shook off his hand and got into the cab.

______________________
 Last Edited: 1st June 2021