33. Bad Ideas

[•Demir's POV•]

"Do you think she will accept it?" Asked Leila, after the girl had left. "I am not so sure. This girl seems different, she won't do it that easily" I sighed. "Then what will we do?" "She will, eventually. Yusef will make sure that she doesn't get the money from anywhere else" I said and he nodded. Leila sipped her tea in an unsure way.

[•Nuri's POV•]

It was pretty late already and I called Ankita, there was no solution so far. No way to get the money, and I hung up devastated. I didn't want to call Demir bey. How could I ask money from a stranger? But he was Edric's brother so his intentions were probably good, my subconscious told me. Still, I got that strange feeling. It was the same feeling I got that day before the party. When we had to land the helicopter, the troubled feeling which hit my tummy before taking risks...

At that time Yeşim came home. "Today was so fun, Özgür and I watched the most romantic film of all time!" she said with a bright smile and hugged. "Welcome back" I replied with a smile, but my face went back to its old form. "Nuri? Is there something wrong?" she asked me, my brain was too confused to pay attention. "Nuri?" she tapped my shoulder, "Huh?" I asked startled. "I know this face. Did something happen? At work maybe?" she said and made me sit on the couch.

"No, everything is fine" I said and tried to smile, but just the thought of my father being arrested made my eyes well up. "Nuri, tell me. You don't usually look this upset, what happened?" "It's not work..." I mumbled, "Then?" she asked, I looked at her eyes. She was worried about me, and I badly wanted to tell all this to somebody. "Will you listen?" I asked her. She held my arms, and looked at me, "Of course dear" she said.

I told her everything about Jaleel, my father, the breakfast invitation, the USB and the offer. She gasped when I ended. "Now what will we do? Maybe I can help you with a few thousands at least" she said. I smiled warmly at her, "I can never accept that Yeşim" "Then what are you going to do? Will you talk with that Demir guy?" she asked. 

"That is the only thing which I can do now" I said, "But are you sure that this 'USB fetching' is something... Proper? Do you trust them?" she asked, "Of course not. My mind is so confused right now, I don't know much about them, but his brother seems okay" I said, "His brother?" "Yeah, I met him at the party. He is a decent guy, kind, and polite" I said.

"Hmm... From what I've seen, brothers are usually similar. Moreover, since you, trust that guy, I don't think there will be a problem" she said, "So should I call them?" "It's your last option, but be careful not to get into trouble" she warned. I sighed, "I can never let them arrest him, so I must call" I said, and got up.

[•Demir's POV•]

It was nearly midnight and the girl didn't call yet. I was pacing up and down the room and Leila was impatiently tapping her legs. "I don't think she will call" said Leila finally, "Don't say that, she must" I replied, "Dear, you should find someone more vulnerable" she said with an eye roll.

At that time, my phone began ringing and we became alert. I checked the name, It was Nuri! "She waited till the last moment, vay!" I said to myself. "Demir bey... Good evening" "Nuri! Good evening to you too. So have you decided?" I asked, "Umm... Yes" "Don't worry! There's nothing to be worried of, I will send you the money tonight, how much do you want?" I asked.

"All I want is 35,000 rupees" she said, I was stunned. "35,000? Hmm... That seems too little" I said, "Demir bey, I only want what I need" she said. Leila was listening to the conversation too, "Alright, as you say, so I will send you the money" "What? How?" she asked, "I know your bank account, check that" I said, "But how do you even know that!?" she asked and I laughed.

"I told you already, I have my ways" "But I haven't taken the USB yet" she said, "Don't worry, you can get it tomorrow, before evening, and just text me if you did" I said. "So you'll send me the money without me even going there?" she asked, "Of course, I trust you Nuri. I know you won't disappoint us" I said. "Hmm..." she made a soft sound. 

If she did betray us, I knew just what to do.

"So, the USB is under the couch, it has three spots on it, black or red, okay? It will be right there, so you can find it without any trouble" he said, "But how did it get there?" "Where?" I asked, "Özgür's place. Under the couch, how did it get there?" she asked again. "Nuri, Özgür is my brother in law, I go to his house frequently, so I dropped it there" I said. "If he is your brother in law, why don't you trust him then?" she asked.  

"It's a uh... family matter. I don't have to tell you that. All you have to do is get the USB, text me, and give it to Yusef" I said. "But what if he finds out?" she asked, my tone changed suddenly, "Nuri, listen carefully, neither him nor anybody should know about this" he warned. "Umm... ok" she replied. "Then everything is fixed then, remember what I told you, sleep well" I said and hung up. 

[•Nuri's POV•]

I sighed. "He said I shouldn't tell it to anyone" "Don't worry, I will never open my mouth" she said and pretended to zip her lips. "But how am I even gonna take that USB? I don't want to go to his house" I said. Yeşim chuckled, "I will come with you, he won't bite you" she said and I gave her a quick glare. 

"But I am still kinda scared to do all this" I admitted, "I know dear, it does seem kinda fishy, all this effort for a USB, but it doesn't affect you much, so don't worry over it. You are doing it for your family, nothing else matters" she said, and I smiled. I was grateful that she had my back.

Within half an hour, I got notified that the money was transferred to my account. The exact 35,000 rupees and I sent the money to my mother's bank account. It was nearly 1am, and soon, I got the expected phone call from my mother and I put it on loudspeaker, as Yeşim insisted.

"Nuri, why did you send us this money?" was the first question she asked, I had prepared a set of lies in my mind and I was ready to vomit them, "Ankita told me all about Jaleel. You can pay him now" I said, "But where did you get this money from?"she asked and I gulped silently. "I have started working at a restaurant as a chef, a part time job... So I had some savings and I felt it would be enough" "What! You started working? If you wanted money, you could just tell us!" she said. 

"Amma, don't talk nonsense, if I did ask you, then how will we pay the remaining loans" I said, "But you could have said a word to us" she said. "I didn't want you to worry over it too" I said. "Nuri, still you could have told me. Is the place safe? Are there other women about?" I chuckled, "Yeah, there are other girls too, a few from my university itself" I am such a reckless liar. 

"My darling worked so hard for us, I am almost in tears" she said. "Mumma don't be silly" I said, "Hmm... So that problem is solved, only one more is left then" she said. "One more? huh?" "Your wedding!" she said and Yeşim gave me that naughty smile with her eyes twinkling. "Mumma, it's pretty late, I am hanging up, Good night" I said. 

"Nuri listen to me, your father has agreed" 

"What?!" I jumped up and gave Yeşim the scare of her life. "How can he agree to it?!" "Dear, you don't have to marry Ashok, there are other boys too, who will take care of you" she said. "I can take care of myself" I growled, "Nuri, this is a serious issue. The next time when you come back, suitors will be waiting, keep that in mind" she said, "But mumma..." "No but's, your uncles and aunts are all torturing me... Saying that I spoiled you..." she said. 

"But I don't want to marry, at least not now" I said, "Nobody will marry you, after you are fifty" she said and I sighed. "Then take care darling, I am hanging up, good night" she said and Yeşim was giving me the most mischievous grin of all time, "Ask me what you want to ask" I groaned.

"Who are you gonna marry?" "I am not gonna marry in this life" I said, "Girl, you don't want to marry? Marriage is like a dream come true for any girl" "In my life, the only guy with sense is my father, I have never met anyone better. So for now, marriage is a faint dream which is never gonna come true" I said and got up.

"Okay fine, but if you do marry, call me too!" she said and jumped up, "I am gonna sleep now, so I will call you in my dream, be ready" I said and went to my room. 

I tried sleeping, but the thought of the USB became my nightmare. Tomorrow was going to be an important day, I could feel it in my bones.

___________________________
 Last Edited: 9th December 2020